The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewnight last night - Interrupted boil +

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
TacoGuthrie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewnight last night - Interrupted boil +

I borrowed a friend's propane burner yesterday and filled up a mini 10# tank just for the brew day.

Lo and behold, 40 min into the boil I ran out of propane. Now before you lecture me on the values of a back up tank I will say this: I should've checked my back up tank to make sure it wasn't empty. Now that that is over with on with the thread:

1) The boil was interrupted for about half an hour while I called close friends and neighbours looking for another tank. Are there going to be any issues with the brew because of the interrupted boil? I still hit my OG.

2) Apparently flustered and shaken by the interruption I also forgot to add an oz of flameout hops until about 5 or so minutes into the wort chilling process. I just chucked them into the pot along with my wort chiller. What do you suppose'll happen with that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd put money on it being just fine.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

ya i'm sure it'll be just fine but anyone have experience on what an interupted boil does?

My reading before making the thread didn't tell me anythign concrete. Some people said "it'll be hoppier", some say "sweeter from a little caramalization of wort".

Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
CDbrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That sounds very similar to my brew day the other day only i had a full backup tank, but also tossed the last oz of hops while cooling... the brews should be fine im not worried

Quick Reply