Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewmaster's Warehouse crush?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
BWN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Brewmaster's Warehouse crush?

I have been having issues lately with efficiency and I am trying to figure what is going on. I have been ordering from BMW and am just wondering if anyone else thinks their mill might be the problem. I am not trying to say anything bad about them I always order from them and they have great customer service. I am just wondering if I should have them run the grain through their mill 2x or if that would just cause more problems or if I need to search deeper for my efficiency problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Please give more details...post a detailed pic of the grain? FWIW I thought BMW was the gold standard. Does the grist contain unbroken barley? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/brew...ciency-323052/

Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
BWN
Recipes 

I can post a pic next time I brew, I don't want to open up the sealed package right now. From the link you posted I have to assume it is not the crush(I really didn't think it was but was just looking for an easy answer) I guess I will continue to search deeper into my process to try and find a problem. I have a 52 qt. coleman extreme mashtun with a bazooka screen. I batch sparge one time, I used to do 2 but switched to 1. My next brew I am going to try 2 sparges but after reading many threads on here it seems that shouldn't make a lot of difference. I usually take the total amount of water I need and split it in half but I think I need to get my first runnings to be half of the preboil volume instead of the strike water being half. I don't want to change too much at once because I want to figure out what is causing this. Any thoughts.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I get all of my grain crushed from BMW. Their crush is definitely not the problem. If I could, I would even like mine to be less crushed than what I do receive from them.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Are ya stirring real well to aid in rinsing the grain prior to draining the MT? When I add sparge wter I like to stir well and let it sit a few minutes, then maybe stir again...think of it like washing clothes, but washing and rinsing grain...gotta stir well I think?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

I get my grain from them too and usually hit around 70%. Are you adding your grain to water or water to grain? Did these batches have any high amounts of wheat or rye or other specialty grains.
Edit. Just re-read a part of your post. If you are splitting your water in half that maybe the problem. Aim for 1.25 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain see if that helps.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
bchurch
Recipes 

In the mash that is

Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchurch
I get my grain from them too and usually hit around 70%. Are you adding your grain to water or water to grain? Did these batches have any high amounts of wheat or rye or other specialty grains.
Edit. Just re-read a part of your post. If you are splitting your water in half that maybe the problem. Aim for 1.25 to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain see if that helps.
I'm curious about the grain to water/water to grain issue you're bringing up- I've done it both ways with no change in efficiency at all.

To the OP: you never mentioned your efficiency %. With batch sparge, 70% is pretty standard. Where are you at?

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
bchurch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSpot

I'm curious about the grain to water/water to grain issue you're bringing up- I've done it both ways with no change in efficiency at all.

To the OP: you never mentioned your efficiency %. With batch sparge, 70% is pretty standard. Where are you at?
I have tried both ways with no problems either but there gave been posts of people having "doughball" issues when adding water to grain. Just a suggestion really.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
BWN
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSpot View Post

low 60's

I add the grain to water. I do stir to make sure there are no doughballs. When I sparge I only usually stir once, I will try to stir, let sit, then stir again.

Quick Reply