New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewmasters warehouse American amber recipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
petey_c
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brewmasters warehouse American amber recipe.

I recently purchase my first all grain brew kit from Brewmasters Warehouse (also my first AG brew). There are no guides as to steeping times, etc.
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/b63e1414/
Here's the ingredient list, can anyone be of assistance? I won't have the fermenting space for another two weeks or so time is not of the essence. Thanks, Pete

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Well, with an all-grain batch you won't have steeping times.

Generally speaking, you'd mash at 154 (depending on your preference and your system) for an hour and then sparge.

I'd probably get more grains, because you may not hit 75% efficiency with your first AG. You could plan on hitting 65-70%, though, so if a lower OG is ok with you, you could do it as is.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
bryanjints
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

That is your friend. I rely on that website heavily when planning out my brew day with all grain.

154 mash for 1 hour like Yooper said. Then drain your wort. Then add more water to your Tun. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so. Drain again. You should have about 6.5 gallons at this point. Now brew as you would with extract.

Olde Brick House Brewery....I live in a brick house built in 1782.

Beer is good, God is great, and people are crazy.

www.barleylegalhomebrewers.com

Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
petey_c

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

YooperBrew/bryanjints, First of all thanks for the advice. I think I may have over extended my self here. My ingredients are resting in the brewery (basement) fridge. As I read through some other threads and J Palmer's book, I started to feel overwhelmed by new terms and chemistry. Here's the way I think it should go:
Mash grains @~154 deg. F for 1 hour in about 3.5 gals water. Drain off most liquid (save to brew kettle). Sparge grains with ~165 deg. F water for about 20 mins. Drain to brew kettle. At start of full (rolling) boil add 1 oz Centennial hops. @ 50 mins. add 1/2 oz. Cascade hops, @ 55 mins. add 1/2 oz Cascade, @ finish add 1 oz Cascade. Chill wort down to about 70 deg. F. Take OG. Pitch yeast. Pour into primary fermenter. Cover and ferment for about 3 weeks. I tried to make this post the, "Dick and Jane" version (for my benefit). Like I said, I won't be starting this for another couple of weeks. In the mean time, I'll be doing more research, and may even delay this until late Sept. Thanks again for the advice. Pete

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That's basically it. Good job!

BobbyM really lays it out best in a couple videos, though your equipment may vary a little:

Quick Reply