Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > brewing ten gallons with 6 gallons boil pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default brewing ten gallons with 6 gallons boil pot

Hi there,

By now I brewed a 6 gallon batches, but finally I got some bigger fermentation buckets that could hold up to 10 gallons.

I have a pot that makes 6 gallons of beer with no problem....

If I make a high gravity wort and boil it with hops enough for 10 gallons, and then after boil I just top up with water - would it be ok?

what are the advantages and disadvantages of brewing like this?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Very low efficiency, for starters, just because you wouldn't be sparging at all.

Beyond that, I'd imagine it's just the standard issues with partial boils: lower hop utilization, darker color, etc.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Very low efficiency, for starters, just because you wouldn't be sparging at all.

Beyond that, I'd imagine it's just the standard issues with partial boils: lower hop utilization, darker color, etc.
no, I intend to sparge as normal and get, for instance, 6 gallons of 1.070 wort prior to pitching. then I would just top up with 3 gallons of boiled water and dilute this wort to lower gravity.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
no, I intend to sparge as normal and get, for instance, 6 gallons of 1.070 wort prior to pitching. then I would just top up with 3 gallons of boiled water and dilute this wort to lower gravity.
Fair enough, but you'll still be sparging and mashing with less water than you ordinarily would for a 9 gallon batch.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
jaythebassist
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, but that's poor efficiency. Cause you're mashing to get ~7 gal at ~1.060 preboil grav, when you could be mashing to runoff 10 gal at 1.030 to make the same OG beer with a full boil. See what I mean?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythebassist View Post
Yeah, but that's poor efficiency. Cause you're mashing to get ~7 gal at ~1.060 preboil grav, when you could be mashing to runoff 10 gal at 1.030 to make the same OG beer with a full boil. See what I mean?
sure, but that's why I ask what are the exact consequences?

If I still get good beer using this technique, than I don't see why not doing it. On the other hand - I'd rather have 6 gallons of good beer instead of 9 gallons of bad or average beer, if you know what I mean....

Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
jaythebassist
Recipes 

Quote:

If I still get good beer using this technique, than I don't see why not doing it. On the other hand - I'd rather have 6 gallons of good beer instead of 9 gallons of bad or average beer, if you know what I mean....
Well, you won't get the same hop utilization, but other than that there's no reason you shouldn't get good beer. It'll just be way less cost-effective.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:

Like I said before, lower efficiency, lower hops utilization, and darker color. Plenty of people do partial boils with extract; the only added consideration for all grain is the lower efficiency.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Like I said before, lower efficiency, lower hops utilization, and darker color. Plenty of people do partial boils with extract; the only added consideration for all grain is the lower efficiency.
If efficiency is the only cost I have to pay, than I'll just do it. What bothers me now is what efficiency should I have in 6 gallons in order to get 1.050 after adding 3 gallons of water to it?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
jaythebassist
Recipes 

Quote:
If efficiency is the only cost I have to pay, than I'll just do it. What bothers me now is what efficiency should I have in 6 gallons in order to get 1.050 after adding 3 gallons of water to it?
I normally get around 80% eff, and when I did a 3/6 gal partial boil I got 50% eff.

Quick Reply