The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewing a SMASH Kolsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #31
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah, wasn't speaking to this beer, just that if anyone stumbled into this thread reading the title "Kolsch" and then my comments about SF Steam yeast, I wouldn't pair those two up.

As you know, a Kolsch is a delicate style. It's less ingredient-driven than some. What I mean is that it's generally just Pils or 2-row and a noble hop, which could be a number of styles depending on mash temp, hop amount and yeast. The balance of malt, hop, and esters are key with a Kolsch. The malt should take a back seat and the beer is generally pretty dry. Noble hops are a must as is some level of fruit, so not all yeasts will work. The hops and fruity esters can vary from hardly detectable to medium presence but shouldn't be overpowering. I don't think I've nailed this one just yet, personally, though my next-door neighbor makes one helluva Kolsch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #32
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For a change of pace with Kolsch, I do an Alaskan Amber clone that is very tasty (drinking one while I type) and is not your typical Kolsch (which I LOVE). Blue Mountain does a Kolsch 151 which is very much what you would get in Cologne or Dusseldorf and it is an awesome beer, highlighting the yeast as the style dictates. That said, the Alt that I am drinking now is awesome and is NOTHING like your stylistic kolsch beer, but it FABULOUS and the yeast shines even with all the crystal malts, Amarillo, Saaz, and other tasty flavors...you can still taste the delicious , delicate Kolsch yeast flavors!! I am a big fan of brewing by the numbers, so to speak, but going off path sometimes yields awesome beers! Cheers all!!!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
His recipe was all Vienna malt and used Northern Brewer hops...it's not a Kolsch. Any fruity esters derived from the yeast will likely be dominated by the piney Northern brewer hops. It's probably a good tasting beer but I don't think the Kolsch yeast would really add much to this recipe.
The recipe was not going to be a Kolsch I just like the flavor of the yeast and thought it would work well with vienna. The main reason for this was to try a SMASH beer that was malt driven rather than the typical hop driven SMASH beers. I like my Kolsch brews but I wanted to try a more malty backbone .....forgetting style, I only wanted a malty version of my normal Kolsch beer.

IMHO this was a very good , clean session beer.... and the kolsch yeast did have a flavor impact.

Experimenting with styles is how new styles are born.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #34
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Few months late to the party, but I recently took 2nd place for a SMaSH Kolsch. It was all pils malt and hersbrucker hops. Used wyeast Kolsch strain fermented at 60. 2 of 4 score sheets gave me a 40 and 43. After bottle conditioning, I left it in the fridge for 3 weeks before turning it in. Super clear! My best comments were on appearance. I think the yeast flocs fine given time in the cold.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #35
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc318 View Post
Few months late to the party, but I recently took 2nd place for a SMaSH Kolsch. It was all pils malt and hersbrucker hops. Used wyeast Kolsch strain fermented at 60. 2 of 4 score sheets gave me a 40 and 43. After bottle conditioning, I left it in the fridge for 3 weeks before turning it in. Super clear! My best comments were on appearance. I think the yeast flocs fine given time in the cold.
Congrats!!! Love to have the recipe.... please post

Old 03-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #36
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Sure thing. Ending with a 6 gallon batch:

11# German pilsner

1oz Tradition @60
1oz Tradition @20

Pitched a healthy starter of wyeast 2565
Fermented at 60

Target OG of 1.051 based on 75% eff

After bottle conditioning, lagering the bottles in cold for 3-4 weeks is when it started to become really good.

Mine has a little more fruit notes then maybe should be there. I am going to try the white labs wlp029 next time and ferment a couple degrees cooler.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #37
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

WLP029 is a favorite of mine. I try to keep it fermenting at the 58-62 range and it is oh so clean tasting! Best of luck!

Quick Reply