Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewing a SMASH Kolsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #21
dragonlor20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I am sure this beer is already brewed and drank, but I wanted to add that if you are looking for a kolsch representation in the United States to see what the yeaSt are capable of, you can drop into a BJs restaurant - their kolsch is more/less stylistically correct in my opinion. I have been to cologne for the record

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlor20
I am sure this beer is already brewed and drank, but I wanted to add that if you are looking for a kolsch representation in the United States to see what the yeaSt are capable of, you can drop into a BJs restaurant - their kolsch is more/less stylistically correct in my opinion. I have been to cologne for the record
Thanks for the heads up

Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBelli View Post
I want a vienna lager style but don't want to use a lager yeast, because I can't control the ferment to 50 in my chamber.. but I have no problems to get it at 60 in my chamber... That is why I thought of a kolsch yeast? Does the kolsch yeast impart a very unique flavor or is it just a low temp clean flavor ale yeast.

I like the suggestions of Northern Brewer/Vienna

do you think the Kolsch yeast is a bad choice?
It's too late, but if you were dead set on a hybrid yeast I would have recommended Wyeast 2112 - California Common. It ferments well up to 65 F (Really keep it at or below 60 F during fermentation) and finishes very clear. Probably a bit more forgiving then the kolsch yeast you used.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_yeast...ail.cfm?ID=131

The kolsch style yeast can be more temperamental, doesn't clear well, and probably is not the best for an all Vienna malt recipe.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_yeaststrain.cfm

Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #24
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 68

The more yeasts I try, the more I come to appreciate good ol' 2565. I've made 3 lagers so far, and although its probably my technique, each of the 4 batches made with WY2565 turned out better. I made an Alt with it and it was one of my best brews to date. I see no issues with the Kolsch yeast outside of the low flocculation. Gelatin or Isinglass works wonders for it. I highly recommend people try this yeast out if they haven't yet.

Also curious how the Vienna SMaSH went? I did a 2-row w/ Cent that turned out okay. The Vienna sounds more interesting to me.

Primary #1: Ice Shanty Bock #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #25
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts

Can't speak highly enough for the SF steam yeast. It IS a lager yeast, don't let anyone talk you out of that...but it produces great lagers and anything you want clear and clean. I usually ferment in the mid 50s with it but it works great at 60, too. Swamp cooler should easily keep you in its range

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #26
tre9er
Recipes 

In fact, I use it interchangeably with clean ale yeasts for specialty beers. Made a pumpkin lager that turned out phenomenal

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #27
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
The more yeasts I try, the more I come to appreciate good ol' 2565. I've made 3 lagers so far, and although its probably my technique, each of the 4 batches made with WY2565 turned out better. I made an Alt with it and it was one of my best brews to date. I see no issues with the Kolsch yeast outside of the low flocculation. Gelatin or Isinglass works wonders for it. I highly recommend people try this yeast out if they haven't yet.

Also curious how the Vienna SMaSH went? I did a 2-row w/ Cent that turned out okay. The Vienna sounds more interesting to me.
Turned out better than I expected..... at 4 weeks in the keg it was ok .... I kind of forgot about it but at 8 weeks in the keg it was frigging very very tasty. Very nice smooth vinish... easy drinking..

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #28
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

best kolsch i've ever done was a smash of 9.5 pilsner, 1 oz perle, and 2565

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Hefeweizen
4: Hoegarden Saison
5: English Mild

Old 11-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #29
tre9er
Recipes 

I should have said, though, that I don't know that I'd use the SF Steam yeast on a Kolsch as it won't give any of the fruity esters that a Kolsch yeast will give.

Quote:

Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 428

His recipe was all Vienna malt and used Northern Brewer hops...it's not a Kolsch. Any fruity esters derived from the yeast will likely be dominated by the piney Northern brewer hops. It's probably a good tasting beer but I don't think the Kolsch yeast would really add much to this recipe.

Quick Reply