Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewing a SMASH Kolsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

But he's trying to approximate a Vienna, not a Kolsch. I think the Kolsch yeast would work well if you ferment at the very bottom of the temp range. For WY2565 you can ferment in the 56-57F range and get a really clean profile. I haven't brewed with the WLP029, but know its temp range is slightly higher.

The issue you will have is that Kolsch yeast is a low flocc'er. Even with gelatin or isinglass held at 35 or 40F, it can take 2-3 weeks to completely clear. After clearing the taste is quite awesome. If you have a means of racking to secondary and lagering the carboy in a fridge, this should work out great for you.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
But he's trying to approximate a Vienna, not a Kolsch. I think the Kolsch yeast would work well if you ferment at the very bottom of the temp range. For WY2565 you can ferment in the 56-57F range and get a really clean profile. I haven't brewed with the WLP029, but know its temp range is slightly higher.

The issue you will have is that Kolsch yeast is a low flocc'er. Even with gelatin or isinglass held at 35 or 40F, it can take 2-3 weeks to completely clear. After clearing the taste is quite awesome. If you have a means of racking to secondary and lagering the carboy in a fridge, this should work out great for you.
I fermented a Kolsch (WP029) in the low 60's and it was very clean, too. I'd go with a chico or even possibly a SF lager yeast. Add a fan and wet t-shirt to the FV in your already-60-degree chamber and you should be great for a steam beer yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have a dual stage temp control fermentation chamber... powered by a small dorm fridge, it is just under powered and it is hard to keep 50.... I have no issues holding from 55 degrees and upward, so thats why I think the Kolsch yeast would be a nice fit... plus I like to experiment

Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post

You got my point! I have the 2 weeks to lager at 35degrees and I will add knox....

Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Awesome, with a temp controlled fridge you should be golden. Pitch a med/large yeast starter that has been decanted (2.5-3 qts) at the bottom end of the yeasts range and hold there for 2 weeks. Then drop the temp as low as you can (50), add some gelatin/isinglass and rack to carboy. Hold that at 50 for as long as it takes to clear.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1104 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

The SF lager yeast would work very well for what you are going for as well and is a highly flocculant strain so would clear on it's own very well. Fermented at the low range you will get a very clean taste. It's one of my favorite yeasts since I can't truly lager but I faux lager with it with some very good results.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
The SF lager yeast would work very well for what you are going for as well and is a highly flocculant strain so would clear on it's own very well. Fermented at the low range you will get a very clean taste. It's one of my favorite yeasts since I can't truly lager but I faux lager with it with some very good results.
+1. I made a very crisp, clean ANchor Steam clone (Yooper's) that received many compliments. I like it better than the original. I fermented around 55 the entire time and the beer was very clear after a 24hr. cold-crash in the fridge, then racked to keg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #18
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
So you got good results with the SF Lager yeast???

Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1104 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBelli View Post
So you got good results with the SF Lager yeast???
Yes, I love it... My California Common was great, my Baltic Porter using it tastes great so far (gets bottled this weekend), and I have heard of many people using it for things like an Oktoberfest and getting medals in competition. Keep the temp around 55 during primary and you will get GREAT results.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 06-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Final Recipe

Here is the final recipe.... I went with the Kolsch yeast...in the fermentation chamber now at 60 degrees... I'll keep you posted on the results

Batch Size:6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.86 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 75.00
IBU's: 23.9 IBUs
Pre-boil grav: 1.041
Est. ABV: 5.1 %
Starting Gravity: 1.050

Ingredients:

11 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 100.0 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [9.40 %] - Boil 40.0 min 20.3 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [9.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml] Yeast

Mash Steps
Mash In- 4.63 gal of water at 160.0 F to mash at 151.0 F for 60 min
Fly Sparge: 5.05 gal at 170

Salts for this batch.... to balance my water report
2gr Gypsum
6gr Calc. Chloride
5gr Epsom Salt
No Latic

Quick Reply