Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewing a SMASH Kolsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 81

But he's trying to approximate a Vienna, not a Kolsch. I think the Kolsch yeast would work well if you ferment at the very bottom of the temp range. For WY2565 you can ferment in the 56-57F range and get a really clean profile. I haven't brewed with the WLP029, but know its temp range is slightly higher.

The issue you will have is that Kolsch yeast is a low flocc'er. Even with gelatin or isinglass held at 35 or 40F, it can take 2-3 weeks to completely clear. After clearing the taste is quite awesome. If you have a means of racking to secondary and lagering the carboy in a fridge, this should work out great for you.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Ice Shanty Bock
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
But he's trying to approximate a Vienna, not a Kolsch. I think the Kolsch yeast would work well if you ferment at the very bottom of the temp range. For WY2565 you can ferment in the 56-57F range and get a really clean profile. I haven't brewed with the WLP029, but know its temp range is slightly higher.

The issue you will have is that Kolsch yeast is a low flocc'er. Even with gelatin or isinglass held at 35 or 40F, it can take 2-3 weeks to completely clear. After clearing the taste is quite awesome. If you have a means of racking to secondary and lagering the carboy in a fridge, this should work out great for you.
I fermented a Kolsch (WP029) in the low 60's and it was very clean, too. I'd go with a chico or even possibly a SF lager yeast. Add a fan and wet t-shirt to the FV in your already-60-degree chamber and you should be great for a steam beer yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I have a dual stage temp control fermentation chamber... powered by a small dorm fridge, it is just under powered and it is hard to keep 50.... I have no issues holding from 55 degrees and upward, so thats why I think the Kolsch yeast would be a nice fit... plus I like to experiment

Old 06-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post

You got my point! I have the 2 weeks to lager at 35degrees and I will add knox....

Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Awesome, with a temp controlled fridge you should be golden. Pitch a med/large yeast starter that has been decanted (2.5-3 qts) at the bottom end of the yeasts range and hold there for 2 weeks. Then drop the temp as low as you can (50), add some gelatin/isinglass and rack to carboy. Hold that at 50 for as long as it takes to clear.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Ice Shanty Bock
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1165 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

The SF lager yeast would work very well for what you are going for as well and is a highly flocculant strain so would clear on it's own very well. Fermented at the low range you will get a very clean taste. It's one of my favorite yeasts since I can't truly lager but I faux lager with it with some very good results.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
The SF lager yeast would work very well for what you are going for as well and is a highly flocculant strain so would clear on it's own very well. Fermented at the low range you will get a very clean taste. It's one of my favorite yeasts since I can't truly lager but I faux lager with it with some very good results.
+1. I made a very crisp, clean ANchor Steam clone (Yooper's) that received many compliments. I like it better than the original. I fermented around 55 the entire time and the beer was very clear after a 24hr. cold-crash in the fridge, then racked to keg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
So you got good results with the SF Lager yeast???

Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1165 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBelli View Post
So you got good results with the SF Lager yeast???
Yes, I love it... My California Common was great, my Baltic Porter using it tastes great so far (gets bottled this weekend), and I have heard of many people using it for things like an Oktoberfest and getting medals in competition. Keep the temp around 55 during primary and you will get GREAT results.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Final Recipe

Here is the final recipe.... I went with the Kolsch yeast...in the fermentation chamber now at 60 degrees... I'll keep you posted on the results

Batch Size:6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.86 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 75.00
IBU's: 23.9 IBUs
Pre-boil grav: 1.041
Est. ABV: 5.1 %
Starting Gravity: 1.050

Ingredients:

11 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 100.0 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [9.40 %] - Boil 40.0 min 20.3 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [9.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml] Yeast

Mash Steps
Mash In- 4.63 gal of water at 160.0 F to mash at 151.0 F for 60 min
Fly Sparge: 5.05 gal at 170

Salts for this batch.... to balance my water report
2gr Gypsum
6gr Calc. Chloride
5gr Epsom Salt
No Latic

Quick Reply