Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brewhouse Efficiency - Kettle or Bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Brewhouse Efficiency - Kettle or Bucket?

I'm a bit cornfuzed here.

If I'm siphoning wort from my BK into my fermenter, which volume do I use to figure brewhouse efficiency? Do I want the volume in the kettle with all the trub, etc., or do I want the final volume in the bucket?

I assume I need the BK volume since that's the equivalent of what I used to use when I just dumped all the contents of the BK into the bucket.

edit: pretty obvious I need BK volume thinking about it now. I've been a bit out of whack since I started siphoning and leaving wort behind in the kettle. I guess I need to plan for a larger batch size.

Actually, I'm guessing either would work so long as proper target volume adjustments/loss estimate calcs are used.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No, brewhouse is based on the volume in the fermenter because it has to factor in losses such as sludge in the kettle, hop absorption, etc. Think of it as literally how much grain it took to get what's in the fermenter. Mash/Lauter efficiency (or efficiency into the boiler for Beersmith fans) will have already accounted for the extraction effiiency. The only thing different between the two numbers is system losses into the fermenter.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, that makes sense and it is what I've been doing. But, that being the case, leaving the trub behind is costing me roughly 5% in efficiency vs. chucking it into the fermenter. Of course, I have no idea how much of that is real loss and how much is actual trub bits I wasn't ever using anyway...

Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Agreed. Brewhouse is usually a couple points lower just as you've found. If the numbers were always the same, we wouldn't call it something different ;-)

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply