Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brew pots - ball valves and oxygenization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Captain_Bigelow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Brew pots - ball valves and oxygenization

Thinking about going AG. I will need a new bigger brew pot however - I was thinking of the 10 gallon mega pot from Northern Brewer with valve and thermometer. I am only interested in 5 gallon batches, so I think this will be more than big enough for me.

Now my question is... with my extract batches I pour the cooled wort from the pot through a strainer into my fermentor. If the pot has a valve, I presume you run a hose from the valve on the pot to the fermentor?? Now is that ok, because I thought that you need to aerate the wort as you put it into the fermentor. If you run it though a hose, it wont add so much oxygen right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
If you run it though a hose, it wont add so much oxygen right?
If that hose has a number of tiny holes in it, then yes, it's called a venturi.

It sounds like you aren't aerating very well (extract or now). You might consider investing a few dollars in an aquarium pump, inline hepa filter, and ceramic air stone. Another option is to use an oxygen tank and air stone.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 06-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

or you do what most of us do, and add oxygen to the fermenter...stirring, shaking or using an airston and oxygen bottle. Or you could NOT use a hose, and let the wort fall and splash into the fernenter...or clip your hose to the top of the fermenter and let the beer fall.splash it's way in..

There are many options available.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Here is another option. I know many brewers who use this as their only source of oxygenating. Its not the best, but it works and is cheap. got this pic from northern brewer.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Michael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Michael/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You could put a T-fitting in line with a hose coming off the tee that sits above the level of the exit (to prevent wort coming through that tube too). It'll introduce a lot of bubbles and should aerate the wort nicely. You can also just shake and vigorously stir the wort once it is in the fermenter, that's what I usually do.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I see AHS has a aeration kit for $35.99. It says to run the pump 15 minutes to an hour in your cooled wort. So exactly when should I run it? In the cooled wort before I transfer it to the fermentation bucket and pitch the yeast?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

in the bucket before you pitch the yeast....

If you want my opinion, skip the aquarium pump setup and opt instead for the oxygen bottle setup instead. Rather than 15 or more minutes further delay before you can pitch and seal, and more time where somethign could fall in...the )2 bottle pumps pure oxygen into it...and it takes only two minutes to deliver plenty.

It costs about the same as the pump version, just that it comes with a regulator and an airstone...and you can use any of those red oxygen bottles found at every hardware store.

If you can't find one with the wand attachment (some just has a hose, and the stone will sometimes float to the top, which is useless) you can do what I did, take a piece of racking cane, and a 1 inch piece of the hose that it comes with, stick the piece of hose on one end, and stick the airstone in the hose bit...works great

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I use the airstone + oxygen bottle setup myself. It takes about 1-1.5 minutes to saturate a 5g batch with oxygen and you get a very rigorous fermentation. Only setback is that you have to replace those oxygen bottles every so often which means more cost per batch.

Obviously the hobby has its cost, but its nice to be avoid excess spending if you can help it. If you can't be bothered with the oxygen cost or the pump time, than you can do what most of us started out doing, which is just shaking the crap out of the fermentor.

Gl with whatever you choose.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It is my understanding that when pitching dry yeast, oxygenating or aerating the wort is not as critical, as the cell count pitched is adequate, and reproduction of the yeast is not required.

If I repitch a slurry, I attempt to aerate the wort. If pitching dry, I'm not as concerned. I also brew pretty standard gravity stuff, for a heavyweight, I would be more concerned, or maybe just double pitch dry??

Anyone else lazy like me when pitching dry, or do most always attempt to add O2?

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 06-29-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have the oxy tank and airstone, but for most of my general normal gravity beers I will just shake the carboy(carefully, protected) after transferring the cooled wort. I recently set up the venturi tube which is even easier but takes some experimentation to get right, at least it did for me, my CFC and pump.

Pure oxygen is great for higher gravity beers.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply