Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brew pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
jschm19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Brew pot

I am building my all grain rig and have a chance to pick up these 2 aluminum drums to turn 1 into a brew pot and the other into a mash tun. They are 22.5" in diameter and 24" tall. Just checking to see what the consensus is on using them.

kettle.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

No expert here, but it looks like you will have to supply an enormous amount of heat to the relatively small diameter bottom in order to overcome the heat lost from the very large surface area of the entire kettle.

bosco

Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Are they new, or was there something being stored in them?

How is 22.5" diameter small..? These are roughly 13 gallons each. I have an 8-gallon pot, and the bottom is about 18" across. Seems reasonable to me.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
jschm19
Recipes 

They are new, sealed on both ends and have been stored at my father in laws shop for I have no idea how long. He mentioned them when we were working on making my keggle.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
jschm19
Recipes 

They are 40 gallons each.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
boscobeans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschm19 View Post
They are 40 gallons each.
In your original post you stated "2 aluminum drums to turn into a brew pot."

If you intend on making a 48 inch high kettle with a 22.5 inch bottom I still think you are going to need a lot of heat..

Again this is just my opinion and as in many things over the years I could easily be wrong.

bosco

ps. It could also be dangerous.

Last edited by boscobeans; 12-07-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: ps. added

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
jschm19
Recipes 

Ah, yeah that's my error in explaining. I only want to use one as a brew pot and probably the other as a direct fired (somehow insulated) mash tun. I can't imagine what I would need to boil 70+ gallons of wort. Thanks Bosco, I will update my post to avoid further confusion.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
boscobeans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschm19 View Post
Ah, yeah that's my error in explaining. I only want to use one as a brew pot and probably the other as a direct fired (somehow insulated) mash tun. I can't imagine what I would need to boil 70+ gallons of water. Thanks Bosco, I will update my post to avoid further confusion.
Understood.

I was just worried about the possibility of the "percolator" effect that can occur when a tall column of water is heated at the bottom. Once the lower water reaches the temperature where it can boil it can expell the entire column above it. Like a geyser.

Good luck on the build.

bosco

Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I would be concerned of the wall thickness. IMO, anything under 3mm thick aluminum shouldn't be used, especially that large. If they're at least 4mm thick walls (bottom too), then you could do it. But, I would inspect the bottom welds (or whichever end will be the bottom) to make sure they're solid. The last thing you need/want is to have a weld fail at boiling temperatures, with one almost full of wort.

BTW, most aluminum pots are formed, not welded, so that there's no seam along the bottom edge (place for it to fail).

One might be ok for a mash tun, but I'd be very cautious about using one for a BK (without additional inspection).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
boscobeans Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
jschm19
Recipes 

They are welded up the side and then around the top and bottom. One end would obviously have to come off. I will mic them the next time I head over there. They are free to me if I want them, but I am trying to figure out if they will be worthwhile or If I should just convert a second keg and use my 10 gallon Rubbermaid mash tun until I find a third and can do a direct fired mash.

Quick Reply