Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brew Day Started!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Couple of pics from today, should have taken more I guess lol

image-4097388850.jpg   image-2268742974.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Antler
Recipes 

Well guys signs of fermentation are winding down. Airlock bubbles every 12-15 seconds and krausen is going back down. This started at 1.054, should I rack to secondary? I've never taken gravity readings to check fermentation, should I check it? I don't have a wine thief or turkey baster, should I leave it for few days?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
Well guys signs of fermentation are winding down. Airlock bubbles every 12-15 seconds and krausen is going back down. This started at 1.054, should I rack to secondary? I've never taken gravity readings to check fermentation, should I check it? I don't have a wine thief or turkey baster, should I leave it for few days?
leave it for a few weeks.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Antler
Recipes 

A few weeks? I don't usually bother with taking numbers, just primary for 10-12 days and secondary for 24-25 days. I leave for work again on the 22 so I'll probably just leave it to primary until the 21st, and it'll be in secondary from then until the 14th of June.

Any other opinions?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 325

A long primary's all you need, in my humble opinion. If I'm using a metric assload of dry hops or planning on re-using the yeast, I may rack it off the yeast but not typically. Absolutely nothing wrong with skipping the secondary- you can go months on the cake and not have any problems, contrary to popular belief. Since it sounds like you may have underpitched a bit, give it three weeks on the cake and taste it. Secondary is more up to personal preference.

When I use O2, pitch the right number of cells, and keep my fermentation temps in line, I can turn around a medium gravity beer in less than 2 weeks grain to glass (kegging). You should get in the habit of doing all those things- remember that the beer can be as much as 10F over ambient temperatures so you need some sort of temperature control. Once you've got that down, are aerating your wort and pitching the correct number of healthy yeast cells, you're well on your way to making fantastic beer.

My only other opinion is that you should make taking the appropriate measurements and recording them a regular part of brewing, like mashing or sparging. Without those, it's impossible to recreate beers you like or diagnose a problem if one should come up. It will also allow you to turn your beer around faster rather than guessing when things are done.

It sounds like you're doing a lot of stuff right- glad you like the BIAB brew day as much as I do!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Antler
Recipes 

I just racked to secondary. Hydrometer reading showed a FG of 1.010 so fermentation is complete. I'll leave it in secondary for 3 weeks now to let it clear before bottling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
My only other opinion is that you should make taking the appropriate measurements and recording them a regular part of brewing, like mashing or sparging. Without those, it's impossible to recreate beers you like or diagnose a problem if one should come up. It will also allow you to turn your beer around faster rather than guessing when things are done.

It sounds like you're doing a lot of stuff right- glad you like the BIAB brew day as much as I do!
What other appropriate measurements should I be taking?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
Antler
Recipes 

Recipe: Irish Honey Red

8lbs Briess 2 Row
1lb Weyermann Cararoma
.8lbs Weyermann Carafoam
.8lbs Weyermann Melanoidin

1oz Cascade @ 60 mins
1oz Cascade @ 30 mins
1lb Pure Honey @ flame-out

WhiteLabs 0001 California Ale

I drank the hydrometer sample when a racked. It was great. I think my best homebrew yet. The honey doesn't show itself as much as I expected, but my palate is nowhere near refined, might add an extra 1/2 lb next time. Can't wait to try this when it's carbed up!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Try a honey malt next time rather than pure honey. While some honey carries a slight floral flavor with it, most of it ferments out into pure alcohol. Honey malt I've had good luck with sweetness and maltiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #19
Antler
Recipes 

I'll see if I can find some. It's hard to find brewing ingredients here. There's only one store that sells grain within a 4-5 hr drive.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #20
Antler
Recipes 

I had to post an update. I've filtered carbonated and bottled this batch, and tried a 6 pack or so over the last few days. It's an awesome brew! It's still a bit green, the hop flavor is just a little strong, but my palate is nowhere near refined, and I'm sure it's going to mellow out some more. I love the way the honey comes through.

All in all it's a great beer, for anyone who enjoys a good Irish Red Ale this is a beer you have to try. Big thanks to MysticMead for sharing his recipe!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS