Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > brew day from hell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
mjohnson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I got ya beat. My last brew: I had just started chilling. I noticed the input to my immersion chiller was leaking a bit. I leaned over with a screw driver to tighten the worm clamp. Little did I know that output hose was kinked down stream. The pressure and heat caused the output hose right by the chiller to explode, spraying my face with near-boiling water. Trip to ER. 2nd degree burns on forehead and nose, 1st degree everywhere else. Luckily, I closed my eyes in time, so no vision issues.

Got a good name for my 1st pilsner, though: Pain Pils.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #12
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Man, compared to these my brew days go GREAT! I haven't had these types of issues. (Knock on kettle.)

Biggest problem I've had to fight through was when I overmilled my grain and had to constantly run a spoon along my kettle screen to keep the pump going for my HERM.

Pain in the butt, but man did I come out with some amazing efficiency that day. I did also end up with a trub from hell with that batch.

Come See Us At: The Original Festival, Butte Montana - September 12-13

Come See Us At: Butte-Toberfest, Butte Montana - September 20

Come See Us At: Montana Brewers Association Fall Festival, Missoula Montana - October 11

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
tommyguner03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 78

at first i did add water then grain and i was mixing in and realized this isnt going to work so i figured to switch out and dump water on top of grain .. this worked better for me although i did mash for more than hour!! although everything in the end worked out just not sure what i hit on efficiency and my abv .. this is also my first all grain batch this is was a learning experience.. maybe next i will add in water first and see what happens from there

god is great, beer is good and people are crazy....

Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #14
DiscipleofDionysus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 22

"First AG weighing my own grain, I assumed I could use a bathroom scale and just subtract the weight of the bucket. The theory makes sense, but it didn't work out in reality." I don't get it, why wouldn't this work?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1069 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyguner03 View Post
at first i did add water then grain and i was mixing in and realized this isnt going to work so i figured to switch out and dump water on top of grain .. this worked better for me although i did mash for more than hour!! although everything in the end worked out just not sure what i hit on efficiency and my abv .. this is also my first all grain batch this is was a learning experience.. maybe next i will add in water first and see what happens from there
Either way works. Just make sure that you stir it up really really good to make sure you have no grain balls.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon
I was taught to put the water in my MLT first. To preheat it then stir in the grains real good.
Exactly, I think this is actually easier than pre-heating with boiling water, pouring it out, adding grains, then adding water...

Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 335 Posts
Likes Given: 2646

I posted awhile back about what was the WORST and most frustrating brew day I've ever EVER had.. but the beer came out AMAZING, and was a lot stronger than my gravity calculations led me to believe..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/murp...w-beer-251503/

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #18
annoyingrob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One time, just as I mashed in 26lbs of grain, a snow storm hit. It was like "Well, I'm committed now........" Rushed to set up a shelter in the back yard so I could sparge and boil without snow blanketing me. It was an interesting brewing experience.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #19
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 165

It seems that the only real problem the OP had was the broken hydrometer. All the rest were bad reactions to the idea that there is a need to add water to grain or to add grain to water. It makes no difference.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #20
tommyguner03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
It seems that the only real problem the OP had was the broken hydrometer. All the rest were bad reactions to the idea that there is a need to add water to grain or to add grain to water. It makes no difference.
true!!.. i went in rewind in my head and thought to myself wait i am a dumb as*!! oh well .. fermenting seems to be going well .. now its a wait and see how well it actually is .. very interesting on what my efficiency would of been

god is great, beer is good and people are crazy....

Quick Reply