Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brew in a bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
bakins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brew in a bag?

Any one here tried the brew in a bag method described here: The Brewing Network &bull; View topic - How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

It looks interesting. I may give it a try, but was wondering if anyone here had tried it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
gabeweisz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I made a Bitter last weekend using this method - my overall efficiency was not spectacular because I spilled some of the sweet wort while draining the bag, but it took the same amount of time to make as many of the partial mash recipes I've done and tasted great going into the fermenter. Took an hour or so less than the all grain batches I've done using a cooler as a mash tun.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeweisz View Post
Took an hour or so less than the all grain batches I've done using a cooler as a mash tun.
The time and cleanup are the biggest draws for me. Mash/boil in one kettle - only have to clean one. Of course, I don't really clean my HLT, just drain and dry it and my MT I can just rinse out. I'm thinking I could actually do 2 batches concurrently, though.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
svraines
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used that method to mash 9 lbs of grain before I made my cooler mash-latuer tun. I added 8 lbs of extract to make an imperial stout. Turned out mighty nice. I am thinking about doing it again to make a quick rye pale ale soon, even though I have a cooler.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I make my beers that way, and it works great. Most of the beer-making process is the same with BIAB as with other techniques - so as long as you have a good recipe, you control fermentation temperature, and you give the beer time to ferment and age properly, you can make kick-ass beer this way.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 AM   #6
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have done one. It went great, the beer tastes great. I only lost on the fact that I had to finish boiling on my stove top instead of the turkey fryer and I did not lose as much wort as I needed to.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've done it quite a few times, and it works great. I do it when I want a short brew day, or if I want to brew another beer while I'm brewing with my "real" system.

I get really good efficiency with my BiaB system, usually around 75%. I think that my high efficiency is a result of the fact that I can use a very fine crush. I made my bag out of a sheer curtain, and the mesh is very fine. I run my BiaB grains through my mill twice to get a finer crush.

edit: I wanted to add that I've used the BiaB method twice to brew Light American Lagers, which don't allow any room for off flavors, and none could be found.

I've also used the BiaB method to brew 1 gallon AG batches on the stovetop.
Stovetop All Grain Small Batch Brewing - Lustreking Brewing

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 10-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
bniesen
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was going to try something simular to this technique. I was going to use a 10gal igloo type cooler and just put a no-weld ball valve on it then I would use a over sized nylon bag to keep the grains in while mashing. This way I would have to worry about stuck mashes, grains clogging up the valve, clean up would be a breeze. Couldn't you still sparge? It seems to me all you would have to do is open the bag and pour the sparge water in.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniesen View Post
I was going to try something simular to this technique. I was going to use a 10gal igloo type cooler and just put a no-weld ball valve on it then I would use a over sized nylon bag to keep the grains in while mashing. This way I would have to worry about stuck mashes, grains clogging up the valve, clean up would be a breeze. Couldn't you still sparge? It seems to me all you would have to do is open the bag and pour the sparge water in.
That's exactly what I do. Pics here. The only things I've changed from the setup shown there, is I've replaced the stock tap from the cooler with the plastic one from a bottling bucket, which has a tip that racking tubing can fit on. I can now control the rate of the spage better and run to my boil kettle with no splashing.

Honestly, the only limitation you have is the size of your bag. Mine is only big enough to use on a 5 gallon cooler, which means a limit of about 12 lbs of grain. Fine for me, I brew session beers, but if you wanted to go bigger you're going to have to rig a bigger bag, like the shower curtain mentioned before.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
gabeweisz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The main reason I'm using the bag is to save on the sparge time.

Quick Reply