Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Brew-in-a-bag"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
eon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Brew-in-a-bag"

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used the "brew-in-a-bag" technique? I have seen the Basic Brewing guys use it before and it looks great! Is this a substitution for using a cooler mash-tun? It would be great if I could go this route for now until I have the money to go all out and buy a real mash-tun etc...

Here is a video of them using the technique. They go more in depth in another video but I couldn't seem to find it.

Speaking of Basic Brewing, anyone out there watch these guys? I love their videos. I am learning a lot!

You must brew the beer you want to see in this world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 153

I use it and it's great. I currently mini-batch BIAB on my stove top, I'll soon jump into traditional AG with a mashtun cooler, but I'm cheap right now and haven't wanted to jump onto a $200 kettle and propane rig.

http://www.biabrewer.info/ has some great guides and knowledge. There's also some on that aussiebrewer site that are tops as well.

It's really simple. Mash in your boil kettle with a large bag (big enough to line your kettle and have the grains able to move) using your total boil volume for the most part. The idea is not to sparge, but you can set a collander over your kettle and run some sparge over it, or dunk-sparge if you have another pot. Simply pickup the bag and all the grains are removed and you boil like normal!

It's really simple and works quite effective. You will lose a few efficiency points by not having a proper sparge, but many people still manage to get a great 80+ %

Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

easy peasy! Perfect when you're working with limited space and particularly well suited to doing a mini-mash.

I improvised on my last batch, a partial mash. I used BIAB, mashing about 5 lbs. of grain in a small ice chest (cooler). Batch sparged right in my brew kettle. Definitely easier to clean up too.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

There's a ton of threads on BIAB here. We were sort of the first US forum to begin discussing and playing with it after the BYO article brought it and no-chill brewing to folks in the state's attention. You'll find a lot of new tips and tricks for it by poking around on here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
eon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, so let me see if I can get this straight. I'll use the recipe below as an example:

16.25# 2-row
1.5# victory (called for 1.25# melanoidin)
0.25# cara-pils (none called for)

hop schedule(whole leaf)
0.75 oz Simcoe(11.2%)-60min (called for 0.62 oz @13%)
0.67 oz Nugget(12.5%)-60min (called for 0.53 oz Warrior@15%)
0.75 oz Centennial(10.1%)-45min
0.75 oz Centennial(10.1%)-30min
1.50 oz Cascade(6.0%)-15min
1.50 oz Cascade - dry(pellet)

yeast
WLP001 (called for WLP002 or Wyeast 1968)

mash
159ºF for 60 min

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I would take a HUGE grain bag to fit into my say 8 gallon brew pot. Next, I would fill the pot with water and bring it to 159F? Then I would pour all three of these grains into the bag and let them sit for 60 minutes at 159 degrees?

After that pull the bag out(with grains in it), bring it to a boil and then proceed as normal by boiling for 60 min, adding hops, etc...

does that sound right?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Sparge it

While you can just take the bag out and let it drip the remainder into the boil kettle, you might want to put the bag into a wire colander and drizzle 170 degree F water (maybe a gallon or so) onto the grain to wash out all the goodness.

- JVD_X

Old 08-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
eon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip JVD X! The rest of what I said sound about right though?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
iijakii
Recipes 

I don't think you're going to be able to fit that much grain in an 8 gallon pot.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
eon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info iijakii. Right now I am doing extract and partial mash. I usually only do 3 gallon boils and then add the extra water to the wort in the fermenter.

What size brew pot do you think I should buy when I move to all grain and BIAB? I would like to buy a pot that's big enough so I never have to worry if it's big enough!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
iijakii
Recipes 

If you are buying a pot definitely go for atleast 10 gallons, preferably a 15.5 gallon one.

I'm actually mashing my last mini-biab batch right now! I just sprung and bought http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...94A/ref=sr_1_5 tonight.

If you let me know what kind of pot you have to work with, we can come up with a scaled recipe tailored for that.

Quick Reply