Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brew All Grain RIMS System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
tjcavitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brew All Grain RIMS System

Just saw a video on YouTube promoting the brewallgrain.com RIMS system. I was about to pull the trigger on the equipment to build my own and it was going to cost me several hundred for the system. This one is going for $249 which sounds great on the surface but also makes me a little nervous.

Has anybody out there seen or used this RIMS system? If so, how did it work out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Interesting idea, not a bad price for what it is. However it violates a Golden Rule IMO - which is don't put electric components in the same box with liquids, unless you are damn sure that it is impossible for the two to mix. I'd be curious to see what it looks like with the cover open.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow this is exactly what Ive been looking for. I am a bit nervous though about the electronics and liquid in one box. I wonder if it is separated inside the box by walls.

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #4
Brandx40
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brewallgrain.com RIMS temp controller

Apparently this is not the most popular thread...I just stumbled on their website. Looks really cool but I cannot find any reviews. Anyone using this thing?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Wrecked
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am a gizmo freak, I may have to get one just to see.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OK, I emailed the vendor; his name is Joe. Asked him:
-how does he seal the RIMS tube (guaranteed leak free?)
-materials used in RIMS tube-does he have SS options?
-Can he replace barb with 1/2" NPT male

He responded almost immediately with the following. Not sure if this was auto reply; if so, it's a good one:

"Thanks for the email with the great questions. Right now our temperature controllers are currently backlogged due to some issues at our manufacturing site. We may have to change some of the design aspects of the temperature controller to resolve these issues. Since we’re still working through these details, I will save your email and get back to you once all of the new product specs are determined. Again, thanks for the questions and your interest in our product."

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Interesting. I'd like to see the inside of the box.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Interesting. I'd like to see the inside of the box.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
BrewAllGrain
Recipes 

So this is Joe from BrewAllGrain.com and I've been following this forum. Our company has begun to manufacture the temperature controllers that you've been discussing but we have run into some manufacturing issues for full scale production as mentioned in my email above (thanks shroomsofdoom for the questions). We find ourselves at a bit of a turning point since fixing all these issues would put us down for awhile and have to change some aspects of the temperature controller (and add to costs).

When we've been developing this product, after multiple prototypes and going through multiple suppliers, we've been able to cut the cost of building one of these RIMS systems. One of the options we've been discussing instead of manufacturing the RIMS system is providing a step by step guide on how to build the system which would include where to buy each part for the lowest cost. Using all American suppliers and the local hardware store, this RIMS system could be made for under $125. Responding to TJCavitt's post, when you know how to build and where to get all the supplies it doesn't have to cost you hundreds of dollars to make a quality RIMS system. We're bouncing around the idea of selling this guide with all sourcing info for around $10.

As many of you have discussed, I would recommend not using the box enclosure if building at home due to leak concerns (we do numerous tests to make sure we have no leak points but if someone took it apart there could be an issue as you guys point out). The box is also the most difficult part to manufacture and is the only part of production that requires specialized tools. Everything else is straight forward to put together.

What do you guys think? Creating the guide would allow us to get rid of the headache that we’ve just found ourselves in manufacturing this system and building your own would allow for customization that a lot of our customers are looking for. Is $10 reasonable and would anyone be interested?

By the way, love the “That’s what she said” comment

Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Brandx40
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmmm... There are other threads on this forum and others that have RIMS plans for free. That being said, I don't think they give explicit info on where to get the parts or give close price estimates. That would be helpful. I'm not a tech savvy person so I would need plans to be idiot proof for it to be worth it for me. That's why I was so excited to see your product. It bridges the gap for those who aren't very DIY and those who don't want to spend a ton of cash for an system from B3 or Brew Magic.
If the plans are really good. $10 would be very worth it to me.

Quick Reply