Breakwater Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an IPA fiend but decided to scale it down and try a Dry Dock clone based on a NB recipe.
I love Chinook and I the recipe only calls for 1.7 total ounces of hops so I added the extra 1/3 of an ounce a FWH. It's dry hopped with 1/2 of Citra.
Did an all grain and Beersmith came in a 1.049 and I was at 1.056. I'm hoping I won't be too low on the hops but it is a pale ale.
We can't get any Dry Dock in my area and I've never had this and am not sure what to expect. Will an IPA guy enjoy this?

Don't know Dry Dock, but one of the interesting things about the wide world of beer is the variety. Spread your wings - try some malt forward beers with an open and inquisitive mind - I love a good IPA but there's so much more out there!

This is a great beer. I am drinking mine right now and love it. I will brew it again. If you like IPAs or pales, you will like this beer.

I'm definitely trying many more things besides IPA's. Beginning to enjoy stouts much more than years before and give me a good porter and I'm a happy man. But, my first love will always be hoppy IPA's.
I made a nice hefe for my wife and really enjoyed it. Did a cream ale and though it's not something I'd order at a bar, I enjoy it on a hot day and friends like it.
So far, I've stayed away from fruit beers but that's coming one day.

formula2fast, did you use your own recipe or NB's kit and was as all grain or extract?

I used NB recipe for it and did as an extract. You can look up their recipes right on their website and just get your own stuff. This was my last extract before switching to all grain. When I make it again, it will be all grain. It is a great beer but not overly hoppy if you are going for a super hoppy IPA. I would also add a bit more citra in the dry hop. I love dry hopped citra beers and this one was great, but for me could even have a bit more.

I did use that AG recipe. Added some FWH Chinook and thought about a full oz of Citra dry hop. May just leave it a 1/2 oz this time and if I make it again, go for more. I've only used citra a bit and know that some folks aren't crazy about it. I've had citra beers and I know I like it.

Thanks

I've got this beer in the fermenter now, and ready to transfer and dry hop, OG was good but it seems darker then it should be. Not sure what went wrong with this but it should be lighter then this, never had that happen before. Had alot of break material as well, odd.
I'll give it a taste and measure FG for the last time.

Mine definitely isn't dark but a nice, golden, almost copper color but, this is only 1 day into fermentation. Based on NB's site, it's not dark by any means.

Yea, thats what i should have had. I just let it finish out and will transfer, then do a taste test too se if i can figure it out.
Only thing I did different was to use 2 ss pads inside my hopblocker during the boil. I was trying to inprove the hopblocker, not sure how that could have an effect, but something went a miss.
My dad always said I could mess up a iron wedge.:D

I tried to ruin this beer (really bad efficiency due to grain crush and being a rookie) but it still turned out great - had to add a couple lbs of dme to bump up the abv. Nice hop aroma and flavor. Throw the extra .3 oz of chinook in at 5 min or flameout.

Bottled last Tuesday. Tried one on Saturday to show a friend what it tasted like, he helped me make it. It was copper, reminded me a lot of a tamer Surly Furious. Granted, I toured surly earlier in the day and was very inebriated at this point. Either way, going to let it properly condition and enjoy.

I tried to ruin this beer (really bad efficiency due to grain crush and being a rookie) but it still turned out great - had to add a couple lbs of dme to bump up the abv. Nice hop aroma and flavor. Throw the extra .3 oz of chinook in at 5 min or flameout.

I used the extra .3 of Chinook at FWH as I like what FWH do but, I've not done any pale ales with Chinook so I'm really looking forward to this.

My Breakwater PA is 6 days into the dry hop. I am probably going to bottle that this week- Looking forward to this in the pipeline

this finished a few points high at 1.053 (low water volume into fermenter, didn't care to top off).

breakwater.jpg

It is excellent though!

Just dry hopped mine yesterday.....will be kegged this weekend or shortly after.
Nice color on yours. Mine seems to be a tad lighter but until I get it into a glass, it's hard to tell. Nice, thick foamy head too!

I thought it would be lighter but you're right, you never know until it's in the glass. I love dry hopping with citra.

Back