Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bourbon oak chip aging help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Beau815
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I saw magagascar vanilla beans for 11 bucks for 2 at a local store. I heard extract is just as good. I didnt believe it much but the pure vanilla extract says ingredients are vanilla bean and alcohol for extraction. As long as its not immitation I hope it turns out the same... 11 bucks when I can do it for 2.99... i didnt skimp on anything on this brew and have alot of $ in it but when i saw its basically vanilla bean with alcohol pure extract i chose to try it out. Lots of people are saying you get the same notes either way. idk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

That's why I didn't get my beans from a regular store (or the local grocery store)... Ordered online (via Amazon) and paid $7 for 7 premium Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans... Turns out the place is in my area, so I might go there in person next time.

I'd rather use the whole beans, and extract with the alcohol I want to use. Gives more control over what flavors will be added. For one thing, you don't know what beans they used in the extract. Nor the actual type of alcohol used for the extraction. To me, that's too many unknown elements for my brews.

Besides, when I open the cabinet with the beans in it, I get the subtle smell of them coming through...

Just split and scraped the bean and added bourbon to it for a good soak... Used all of 2oz of good bourbon with the bean (was enough to cover it) in a sealed jar.

I would do the same thing with oak chips... Place in a jar you can seal (glass being the first choice) that's large enough (on the bottom) so that you can have a single layer of chips. Pour enough bourbon/alcohol over the chips to cover and then let them soak.

I used my digital scale to figure out how much bourbon was going over the bean. If you have one you can zero out, once you place the chips (inside the container) then you'll know how much alcohol you've added.

If the LHBS has the right toast level chips on hand when I go there later today, I'll pick some up. I have enough jars on hand that I should be able to cover some in bourbon and not use too much...

Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have 2 oz of chips in a sealed mason jar with a pint of bourbon and only added 1 oz of vanilla extract to the jar. smells so good

Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
Brew_Stein
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I wondered if you could prime a beer that has been fermenting on bourbon chips for over 6 months? or do you need to for carbonate after that lenght of time?

Also, if you need to force carbonate, can you fc in a barrel and then bottle are few?

many thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I use medium toast cubes...1.5 oz per 5 gallons. Cubes are neutral after about 6 months. Taste often...too much oak cannot be undone!

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_Stein View Post
I wondered if you could prime a beer that has been fermenting on bourbon chips for over 6 months? or do you need to for carbonate after that lenght of time?

Also, if you need to force carbonate, can you fc in a barrel and then bottle are few?

many thanks
Chances are you'll still have enough yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate. It might take a good amount longer to actually carbonate, compared with lower ABV, and younger brews.

Has it been fermenting on the oak, or aging on it???

For force carbonating, you need to use a 100% sealed vessel that can handle the pressure safely. I seriously doubt a wood barrel would qualify for this. Besides, you would need to install (at the very least) a gas post into the keg. Not something you'd want to try and do when it's full of brew.

If you want to force carbonate it, then simply rack over to a serving keg and do so. I would go with the slow method, not the rapid/fast method. You've given it six months already, what's a few more weeks to carbonate it??

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
Brew_Stein
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Chances are you'll still have enough yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate. It might take a good amount longer to actually carbonate, compared with lower ABV, and younger brews.

Has it been fermenting on the oak, or aging on it???

For force carbonating, you need to use a 100% sealed vessel that can handle the pressure safely. I seriously doubt a wood barrel would qualify for this. Besides, you would need to install (at the very least) a gas post into the keg. Not something you'd want to try and do when it's full of brew.

If you want to force carbonate it, then simply rack over to a serving keg and do so. I would go with the slow method, not the rapid/fast method. You've given it six months already, what's a few more weeks to carbonate it??
Hey Golddiggie,

Thanks for such a fast reply. I havnt started the project yet but have been trying to find the best process. I have just completed my first AG brew of Ringwood Fortininer and its primed in a mixture of bottles and mini kegs.

Im going to do a Hobgoblin clone in a week and wanted to use my left over Bourbon chips from my another brewing other project. There is a new Craft Beer pub near me that had an incredible Bourbon Ale.

It appears i have a few options:

A. Ferment the brew with Bourbon chips for about a month and then prime condition in bottles/ mini keg
B. Ferment for a week or so and then transfer to secondary fermentation, add the Bourbon chips for (x) amount of time and then prime in bottles.

I dont have an oak barrel but a plastic barrel (serving barrel) with a CO2 insert on the top. so can I:
C. Carbonate in barrel with CO2 and bottle straight away with beer gun?

Im happy to wait and let it mature if this is a benefit. Im just open to suggestions. Thank again, this is a great help.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Don't ferment with the chips. Also, let it finish (100%) fermenting BEFORE you add the chips. I never bottle/keg a batch until it's 100% ready to drink.

IME, the 5L 'mini keg' is horrible. There's more than a few threads about people using them. I did for parts of all of two batches. Learned to hate them pretty quickly. IF you drain it fast, it's ok. Don't kid yourself into thinking that it will be good for a week, or more, on the CO2 device. You'll be going through a LOT of cartridges in order to maintain carbonation there (leaks CO2). I wish I had never bought those things and had [instead] gone straight to using corny kegs. IMO, worth every penny there.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
Brew_Stein
Recipes 

OK. Full fermentation first and then add the chips in secondary to age. Maybe a month and see how it tastes.

I was so close to going straight to corny but thought it would be nice to have some bottles to give away and a couple of mini kegs for parties. The mini kegs will be used up over my birthday and christmas so no worries about finishing them fast this time. Thanks for the warning.

I see with corny kegs you can bottle carbonated beer directly from them. This is probably the way forward.

Cheers
PS a pic of the current batch priming. It only need one week of fermentation and 4 weeks to prime.

img_0119.jpg  

The problem with the world today is that everyone is a few drinks behind

Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'd rather have it all in keg at least from the start. I can always bottle some IF anyone else wants some. Means I won't have bottles of a brew hanging around, taking up more space, etc.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply