Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bought Mash Tun...now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4914 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher40 View Post
Equipment info is 10 gallon rubber maid cooler mash tun with false bottom. I just use an aluminum turkey fryer pot. It has worked great for my extract batches. Not sure about the burner. It is an OLD turkey fryer burner. Seems to throw out a crap-load of heat.I will get back with you real soon on a recipe. Hey Yooper I was up in your neck of the woods last weekend in Marquette for the beer fest. First time to that part of the UP. BEAUTIFUL country, and I love Lake Superior. Did the Pictured Rocks cruise.
Glad you had a nice time! I wanted to go, but spent the weekend in Minneapolis and didn't get a chance to stay around for the Beerfest. The Pictured Rocks cruise is a fun time, and so is the Shipwreck cruise. I've done some hiking around the waterfalls in the Munising area, and it's always a good time. There is a brewpub in Grand Marais so I like driving through H-58 from Munising to Grand Marais for the great views and then a stop for whitefish and beer!

When you make your extract batches, what size boil have you done in that turkey fryer/burner set up? If you boil, say 6.25 gallons, you may have to take that into consideration when formulating your recipe that's why I ask.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #12
Gopher40
Recipes 

Yooper I believe I have fit as much as 6 gallons in the pot I have. No more than that though.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
Gopher40
Recipes 

Okay, this recipe sonds good. I notice it is 6 gallons. I believe 5 is what I am after. Okay brewing wizzards...what do I do??

Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #14
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsnau View Post
Just as a general comment, would it be easier for him to pick something a little easier than an IPA for a first brew? Not that it is that much different but something lower gravity with less hop additions for his first go-a-round so he can focus on the allgrain process? Any other thoughts on this?
I'll bite, and say I like your general direction, but past the whole mashing and lautering process, brewing extract is no different with regards to the boil and any additions.

Gravity would only have something to do with how much grain he mashes, and the volume of what he wants to make really.

A simple 1.055 or so Pale/IPA or something would be a great intro, and allow someone who enjoys their extract IPA's to see a difference in AG brewing v. Extract.

Beyond understanding the process of mashing, then sparging, everything is identical to extract, IMO.. Not exact, but pretty darn close!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Okay, this recipe sonds good. I notice it is 6 gallons. I believe 5 is what I am after. Okay brewing wizzards...what do I do??
Might I suggest this.. Yooper will be able to help better, but look up her Pale Ale recipe.

You can add more hops and make it an IPA, super easy, and super simple. Great base recipe too!!

Also, don't let Beersmith scare you. I was overwhelmed when I first looked at it, and was lost. Watch the videos on there and they are really helpful. I was able to input my equipment, which you will tweak as you get used to it and it will tailor ANY recipe you want right down to the finest point, and with your equipment in mind.

You MIGHT need a bigger pot. I upgraded from an aluminum turkey fryer pot to a 12 gallon SS pot, and it's plenty big enough for full volume boils where I'm collecting 7-8 gallons of wort and boiling it down.

With that said- Just take it slow. Keep in mind that it's easier than it sounds. Getting all hung up on the numbers first off, don't worry. If you miss your numbers, it's in your process usually and it's fixable.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:21 AM   #16
Gopher40
Recipes 

Found Yoopers Pale recipe. That sounds like a good one also. I will go with that.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #17
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Found Yoopers Pale recipe. That sounds like a good one also. I will go with that.

Great, you can't go wrong with it.

Take it to your LHBS, and get the grains. Make sure the crush is good. You don't want to see any whole grains that aren't broken open when they are put in the bag from the grain.

Follow the recipe. Don't fret over the water additions, or worrying about PH. If you use bottled spring water, you'll be fine as a base to get the whole process down for now.

Heat your water in your pot to the temp it says to "strike" the grains at. This is going to be higher than your mash temp, as the grain will take the heat away quickly being cooler than the water. So if you mash at say.. 152*, you need roughly 166 or so with room temp grain.

Pour the hot water in your mash tun that you measured and heated up. Close it up and let it sit for 10 minutes or so.. Check the temp.. Once it's at the right temp, which is easier if you over shoot it and let it cool.

Once it's at say. 165*, add the grain slowly.. Add some, and stir like hell. Add more, and stir. Add more and stir. Do this until it's all in there.. Powder(flour) and all in the bottom of the bag. Stir really well, and get all the dough balls out of the grain. You want super super soupy oatmeal!

Check temp. Is it low? Add some extra hot water and stir.. Is it too high? Stir some more until it cools, and/or add a bit of cool water. Don't worry about it being sanitized, it's fine!

Once it's where you want it, close it up, and forgot it for atleast 60 minutes.

Once you are around 30 minutes in, start heating your sparge water. This is to rinse the grain bed.. Depends on how long you can heat your water. The amount should be in the recipe, or Beersmith will calculate it for you based on volume and whatnot.

Drain your mash tun, slowly. Collect the first runnings from it in a pitcher until it runs clear. As in, not cloudy with grain particles. Usually 2 quarts to 1 gallon is good. Let it drain into your pot, or into a bucket if you have your water in your pot heating.

Add the cloudy stuff slowly to the top of the grain bed and let it drain out.

Once it's done draining, measure the gravity of the 1st runnings.

Then add your hot water. It should be around 180 or so. You want your grain bed to get close to 168 as possible. Add water and stir like hell again here.. Really good stir.. Let it sit 5 minutes or so, and stir again. Wait 5 minutes, and drain it all out.

Repeat the process of collecting your 2quarts or so of cloudy wort, and add it back to the top while it drains.

Once it's drained, you are done with the grains!

Start to boil the wort, but don't forget to take a gravity reading of the wort. Cool a sample down and note the reading.

Proceed like you would in extract. Bring to a boil with NO LID, and add your hop additions and whatnot.

The only big change in the process is that you need to be be aware of your wort volume.. If you want 5 gallons of finished beer, you'll need to figure out how much you boil off in say an hour of boiling. So if it's 1 gallon an hour, you'll need to start with 6 gallons, to have 5 when you are done. If your recipe is set for 5.5 gallons, then if you end up doing 6 gallon boil and finish with 5 gallons, you are short .5 gallon and your OG will be higher if you hit all your numbers in your mash right. Thats really the only "math" involved, and Beersmith will assist you with this easily.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
kkimmes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To keep things more simple for your first all-grain brew, you can use brewheads.com to calculate strike temps.

Another change is you need to know your volumes of water. If you collect 3 gallons of wort the first time you drain the grains, and you want 6.5 gallons of wort to start you boil, you then know you need 3.5 gallons of sparge water. The first time you add water to grain, it soaks up quite a bit of water, but the second water addition will not be absorbed by the grains because it's already wet.

To know my volumes, I put permanent marks on my stirring paddle for each gallon, this way I quickly know how much water is in my brew pot.

On Tap : Dead Read APA
In Primary: Blue Moon Clone, Moose Knuckle Brown Ale
On Deck: Wee Heavy

Quick Reply