Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bought Mash Tun...now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Gopher40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bought Mash Tun...now what?

Have been brewing extract for a couple years and have decided to make the leap to all-grain. Now I feel like a lost puppy. When I start reading posts I get system overload. Checked out Beersmith...can't figure it out. I don't consider myself as a dummy, but am worried I am in over my head. AM always told how easy it is, but them I read posts and it seems like you need to be a scientist to understand it.What might the best source be for me to get info to walk me through that first batch?? HELP!! Seriously considering returning the mash tun. I need a beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
dtow2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Check out the recipe database they have some that will show you the exact recipe to follow.
What kind of beer do you like?
I should say what kind do you want to brew first because if your like me you like most beers!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Gopher40
Recipes 

Probably will just do an IPA.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher40 View Post
Probably will just do an IPA.
Tell you what. Pick a recipe that looks good, and we can type out step by step directions for you.

It would help us to know about your boil kettle, and burner, and if you know your boil off for that kettle. Let us know how big your mash tun is, and if it's a cooler. Tell us if you have a HLT to store water, and if you'll be batch sparging. Or if you don't know that, let us know that too.

Then we can walk you through how to do it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
grimzella Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just as a general comment, would it be easier for him to pick something a little easier than an IPA for a first brew? Not that it is that much different but something lower gravity with less hop additions for his first go-a-round so he can focus on the allgrain process? Any other thoughts on this?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
Gopher40
Recipes 

Equipment info is 10 gallon rubber maid cooler mash tun with false bottom. I just use an aluminum turkey fryer pot. It has worked great for my extract batches. Not sure about the burner. It is an OLD turkey fryer burner. Seems to throw out a crap-load of heat.I will get back with you real soon on a recipe. Hey Yooper I was up in your neck of the woods last weekend in Marquette for the beer fest. First time to that part of the UP. BEAUTIFUL country, and I love Lake Superior. Did the Pictured Rocks cruise.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4954 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsnau View Post
Just as a general comment, would it be easier for him to pick something a little easier than an IPA for a first brew? Not that it is that much different but something lower gravity with less hop additions for his first go-a-round so he can focus on the allgrain process? Any other thoughts on this?
Nah, an IPA is as easy as anything else, and in fact my be a little more forgiving as if you miss the OG it won't really matter very much. If you miss the mash temp, it won't matter that much either as the worst thing that could happen is a slightly drier beer, or one with some residual sweetness. Either way, IPAs are awesome.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
sburnt Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
Gopher40
Recipes 

rjsnau....hop additions wouldn't be any different than for an extract batch really..would they?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
rjsnau
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I guess that's true. By the time you get to the boil it is just like extract. Sorry, it has been many years since I did extract so I tend to forget. It seemed overwhelming to me until I did my first all grain, then it seemed pretty straight forward. You are in great hands with Yooper!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
StittsvilleJames
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Youtube. I'm the kind of person who likes to see stuff, not read about it, to really understand it. There are alot of really good videos which help take the stress out of it and show how easy it can be. Worked for me!

Quick Reply