New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > bought 2-row...got pilsen...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2644 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2152

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
When I buy Great Western 2 row 2.2L it's a lighter malt than GW Pale 3L.
that's funny, I just heard someone talking about the same. Great Western apparently make something between a pilsner malt and a pale. So, the malt spectrum incrementally approaches a smooth line as the differenced between malts decreases.

Weird, I picture the definition of an integral in calculus.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #12
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
All malts (pilsener to black patent) are 2-row except for "6-row", which is kilned as a pale malt.

When one refers to just "2-row", what they are really saying is "2-row pale malt", usually the American variety. This is a lightly kilned malt around 3L. It is kilned a little more than Pilsener, which is very light (~1.5L). Pilsner has a sweet grainy taste.

I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe a bit more flavor hop.
I know this, but there is a difference between "2 row" pale malt and "two row" pilsner. As said before, the boil. If I hadn't noticed and only boiled for 60 minutes I might have off flavors. Just wanted to make sure new brewers reading this don't misconstrue anything.

Last edited by TheMan; 05-10-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #13
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Same things happened to us on our last group buy. We got a lot of Superior Pils. I think they switched the number and the old number for the Canadian 2-row is the new number for the Pils....not a good thing to do IMO.

Anyway, not a terrible time of year to have a bag of that though. I am brewing some light lager-like beers and a cream ale. You might notice that there is a lot more protein...crazy amount of hot break. But it seems to be a very nice very, very pale malt. But, I agree, you will want the 90 minute boil and chill as quick as possible.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #14
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
Same things happened to us on our last group buy. We got a lot of Superior Pils. I think they switched the number and the old number for the Canadian 2-row is the new number for the Pils....not a good thing to do IMO.

Anyway, not a terrible time of year to have a bag of that though. I am brewing some light lager-like beers and a cream ale. You might notice that there is a lot more protein...crazy amount of hot break. But it seems to be a very nice very, very pale malt. But, I agree, you will want the 90 minute boil and chill as quick as possible.
Wow, you sound exactly correct. After flipping the bag over I found they hand wrote "2-Row" on the back. It was even canadian malt. I think this is poor practice. It had crazy hot break as you said, it's like the hot break would not go away. I just added a gallon mid boil and went 90 minutes to accomodate. I got the "tortilla soup" look as Revvy pointed out.

Quick Reply