Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bottle carbing a stalled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
cotillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Bottle carbing a stalled beer?

I've been fermenting a pumpkin ale for a few weeks now, and it appears to have stalled out. OG was 1.080 and it's been stuck at about 1.026 for quite a while. I've tried stirring up, nutrient and even repitched with more US05.

Temp has been maintained at around 65 for most of the time, so I am not sure as to what caused it. It tastes good, so I'm fine moving along as it is.

My problem is that I bottle carb and am unsure of how to proceed. Since there appears to still be sugars in there, I am afraid dropping in some champagne yeast will give me bottle bombs. I don't have a kegging system, so force carbing is out.

At this point, the only idea I have is to gelatin fine the beer in a few days at cold temp, then pitch yeast (with or without priming sugar?) and letting it sit for a few days before bottling - to let it eat up any excess sugars before going to bottle.

Does this make sense? Any other thoughts or tips?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotillion
I've been fermenting a pumpkin ale for a few weeks now, and it appears to have stalled out. OG was 1.080 and it's been stuck at about 1.026 for quite a while. I've tried stirring up, nutrient and even repitched with more US05.

Temp has been maintained at around 65 for most of the time, so I am not sure as to what caused it. It tastes good, so I'm fine moving along as it is.

My problem is that I bottle carb and am unsure of how to proceed. Since there appears to still be sugars in there, I am afraid dropping in some champagne yeast will give me bottle bombs. I don't have a kegging system, so force carbing is out.

At this point, the only idea I have is to gelatin fine the beer in a few days at cold temp, then pitch yeast (with or without priming sugar?) and letting it sit for a few days before bottling - to let it eat up any excess sugars before going to bottle.

Does this make sense? Any other thoughts or tips?
Was this AG and what temp did you mash.

If you already stirred, increased temp and re-pitched and it still hasn't moved then its done

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was AG, mash was around 158, give or take a degree.

I haven't tried raising temp, mostly because I thought US05 didn't like anything over 75.

By done, do you mean it's safe to add priming sugar and champagne yeast to bottle?

Edit: Just put it in a warm water bath and gave the carboy a few back and forth twists. Lots of cake now floating up to the top, pretty aggressively. Not sure if that's just agitation releasing trapped CO2 or if it got things moving that quickly.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
jesserizzo
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1.080 to 1.026 puts you at about 7% ABV. I don't think champagne yeast are required. I would let the temp rise to about 70F, and see if that drops it a few points. Let it stabilize again, then you can add priming sugar and the US05 that's in there should carb it fine.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesserizzo View Post
1.080 to 1.026 puts you at about 7% ABV. I don't think champagne yeast are required. I would let the temp rise to about 70F, and see if that drops it a few points. Let it stabilize again, then you can add priming sugar and the US05 that's in there should carb it fine.
Even if the 05 has apparently given up?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The FS could be due to unfermentable sugars. Did you add any adjuncts? What did the recipie say the FG should be?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
The FS could be due to unfermentable sugars. Did you add any adjuncts? What did the recipie say the FG should be?
Closer to 1.018, and I used less lactose than the recipe did :/

Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
It was AG, mash was around 158, give or take a degree.

I haven't tried raising temp, mostly because I thought US05 didn't like anything over 75.

By done, do you mean it's safe to add priming sugar and champagne yeast to bottle?

Edit: Just put it in a warm water bath and gave the carboy a few back and forth twists. Lots of cake now floating up to the top, pretty aggressively. Not sure if that's just agitation releasing trapped CO2 or if it got things moving that quickly.
If you mashed 158 then you mashed high, got a less fermentable wort and after all you've done nothing has changed so the beer is done and ready to package. There is no need to add any yeast at bottling, there is plenty to do the job

Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
cotillion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
If you mashed 158 then you mashed high, got a less fermentable wort and after all you've done nothing has changed so the beer is done and ready to package. There is no need to add any yeast at bottling, there is plenty to do the job
Hrm..the recipe called for mashing at 160, which I thought would be too high. I'm curious as to how the recipe was able to achieve those numbers and where I went wrong. Maybe I temp shocked my yeast with the initial pitch. I wasn't very careful. Oh well, I'll let it sit at a warmer temp til Sunday and then get some gelatin in there before bottling. Will probably try to suck up a little trub from the bottom when racking to bottle bucket.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:

Hrm..the recipe called for mashing at 160, which I thought would be too high. I'm curious as to how the recipe was able to achieve those numbers and where I went wrong. Maybe I temp shocked my yeast with the initial pitch. I wasn't very careful. Oh well, I'll let it sit at a warmer temp til Sunday and then get some gelatin in there before bottling. Will probably try to suck up a little trub from the bottom when racking to bottle bucket.
I'd be curious to see the recipe with a suggested mash temp that high, definitely leaves for a very full body beer. With an OG of 1.080, 1.020 would be a reasonable FG to achieve with a standard 152 mash. Are you sure your thermometer is properly calibrated?

Quick Reply