*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Books on Brewing History

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
Willie3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Books on Brewing History

This month's Beer Advocate Magazine mentions Beer Geeks (a good conotation to the people on this site). I consider myself a Beer Geek, finatical about brewing and desiring all the knowledge I can sink my teeth into about brewing and this thing called beer.

For Christmas my wife got me (by request) the book Origin & History of Beer & Brewing. Written in 1911 by John P Arnold published by the Alumni Association of the Wahl-Henius Institute as an attempt to bridge civilation to creation of beer and evolution through time up to the 20th century.

If you can get over the early style writing technique used, and somewhat of a translation issue (original written in german), Arnold delightfully explains where and how beer came about from his and his colleague's research efforts. What is good about this book is that he stipulates that by no means this books purpose is to concretely solidify the Origin and History of Beer, however, he iterates that from his findings this is the closest depiction at that time.

A really great read - and a really facinating history - if you desire to find out how our ancient brothers brewed beer.

I recommend this read for all you beer geeks like me.

Anyone else have a recommendation on beer history?

- WW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are interested in reading about the history and evolution of many different styles of beer (as well as a lot about designing beers), I would recommend Ray Daniel's excellent book "Designing Great Beers". He covers mostly ales, but provides some really fascinating historical context for each one. Based on what you said above, I suspect you would enjoy this book.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out. BTW - nice pics of salmon. I too am an avid Fly fisherman. NE Jersey has some excellent fisheries, however, nothing can compare to the north for trout species.

- WW

Old 03-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I meant salmon as well.

- WW

Old 03-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

WOOOOAA!!!

Am I reading this right?? Have I found two fellow brewing fly fisherman?? Great to know I am not alone and great to know you. How many more of us are out there?

A book I am working on right now is Ambitious Brew. Its a history of the brewing industry in the USA. The author slips my mine right now but you can find it easily on Amazon.com.

Thanks.

Dr Malt

Old 03-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
If you are interested in reading about the history and evolution of many different styles of beer (as well as a lot about designing beers), I would recommend Ray Daniel's excellent book "Designing Great Beers". He covers mostly ales, but provides some really fascinating historical context for each one. Based on what you said above, I suspect you would enjoy this book.
Is that the one that focuses mainly on all grain? Or do you think extracters would get something out of it?

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had to jump in just because of the mention of fly fishing.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
Is that the one that focuses mainly on all grain? Or do you think extracters would get something out of it?
Yes, you are right. But I found it very helpful. It is actually what piqued my curiosity about all-grain brewing.

I think the book is general enough, however, to help understand the design of any beer (AG, PM, extract-only, etc.). For example, understand the major components of beers (pale malts vs. specialty malts), hop types and rates, etc.

I actually didn't appreciate the book until I read it a couple of times. It *IS* pretty dry, but tons of useful information, including some excellent sections on the composition of 'winning' homebrew recipes (extract and AG). Good read all around.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Default Fly fishing

So the the fly fishermen are coming out of the woodwork, eh? Yep, I am hooked, so to speak. Learned to fly fish out in Eastern Ontario, and got the bug big when I lived in Fort Collins, Colorado. And now that I am in southern Alberta, I am in the trout-fishing mecca! Some steelhead and salmnon fishing would be nice, though -- not much of that here -- I bet you guys out east have some great places to fish!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm jealous of both you Alberta guys AND you guys out east. The best trout fishery here (which isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination - and also my home water) is the Grand River Tailwater. I love it and fish it almost every morning during the season. But I am so dying to get out west! I love fishing for steelhead coming up the rivers from Lake Ontario as well but having ice building up around my knees isn't my favourite experience in fishing.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply