Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Boiling Down Leftover Runnings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
drchris83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I routinely sparge until I get to boil volume, the continue until the runnings are no longer sweet. I use those second runnings as smaller, experimental batches (10l ~2.64gal), mainly using herbs, spices, wild hops picked while hiking etc. If OG is not high enough, I add some honey or similar stuff at appropriate times during the boil. Worked out well so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Do you get any tannin extraction that you notice from sparging to such a low gravity? Most fly sparging is supposed to stop at the 1.015 mark right?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #23
drchris83
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper
Do you get any tannin extraction that you notice from sparging to such a low gravity? Most fly sparging is supposed to stop at the 1.015 mark right?
This is news to me. I guess I wouldn't notice a lot of residual sweetness at 1.015 after successively tasting wort that's less and less sweet though. I think I might actually take a reading next time. No tannin taste I could discern. However, I mash out and then let the sparge water cool down a bit (read: I take the pot containing the sparge water from the stove), maybe to sacc rest temp. It was my understanding that lower temperatures can help reduce tannin extraction. Also, I use what is described as "hybrid" method in the AG forum (don't know how to make a link on my phone, but the thread describing the technique is a sticky). This makes temp control in the grain bed during sparging difficult and I suspect that it is relatively low.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
cockybitz
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

they say to stop sparging when you get to 1.010 running off. This is moreso tailored to fly sparging. Using batch sparges, even with SLOW runoff, I've never gotten to 1.010.

Quick Reply