New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > boiling all grain split batch HELP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
jldesign
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default boiling all grain split batch HELP?

I have a large pot but the bottom surface area is too large to heat up on my glass top stove and I've tried it and it is way too long straight 5.5 gallon filled. I want to do all grain inside but fear I can't get a boil.

I guess I could fill the big pot with about 4 gallons then a smaller 2 gallon till the smaller boils then combine in hopes to speed up boil in the larger one? will combining the 1 boiling to one not boiling cause any oxidation before first hop addition?

anyone have any ideas on method or madness on this... much appreciated on any ideas to fix the situation without a turkey fryer or larger stove. wife allows this and the great stink of grains but I can only push so far friends.

also my smaller 5 gallon is SS the larger is aluminum does one conduct heat faster maybe a larger SS pot with the smaller bottom diameter can help?

thanks for any input I'm slowly approaching my first AG!

busy busy busy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
davy

Recipes 

Are you not interested in getting a turkey fryer? It is much easier and will cost you less money when you compare propane to your electric bill. And turkey fryers are really not that expensive and worth the investment. And also when you switch to AG it will definitely help with heating your sparge water and mash water.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have enough room for both pots? I use two 5 gal pots, each with 3.5 - 4 gals in them. I'm using an open electric stove though, so I'm not sure if you're glass top range would put out the same heat.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldesign
I have a large pot but the bottom surface area is too large to heat up on my glass top stove and I've tried it and it is way too long straight 5.5 gallon filled. I want to do all grain inside but fear I can't get a boil.
I've got a ceramic stove top, and I was really pushing it to get a decent boil going with much over 3 gallons...and that was on the big burner. The glass stove tops just aren't good for making beer.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 02-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
jldesign
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

on my many extract partial mash batches - I usually got 2 gallons boiling (plain water in the 5 gallon pot) then steaped some specialty grains or did small mini-mash in another pot then added that to the 2 gallons on boil which would get me 4+ gallons to a boil in 10-15 minutes which was perfect.

I'm going to look at getting a slightly larger SS pot and getting the first mash going in the large pot to boil while sparging the second half into a smaller pot and rolling that up to a boil and adding it to the larger from that point I think I can get my temp up where I can keep it going wihtout going max on the range.

*****do I have to worry about any HOT wort oxidation or anything?****

I have 2 dogs and people milling around outside all the time and I just don't have the space to safely do it IMO (I would in a heartbeat if I could)

busy busy busy

Old 02-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldesign
do I have to worry about any HOT wort oxidation or anything?
During the boil, I would so no.

Quick Reply