Boiled tap water vs bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
I have been using $1 gallons of Safeway drinking water. Is there really any reason I can't use tap water and boil it? Or is there an additive I can use to improve my tap water?

The issues is partially cost but also hassle, 10 plastic water jugs is annoying.

It really depends on what is in your water. If you can, check your local municipality's website for their annual water quality report. Post it here, and we may be able to tell you how manipulate the water to get it ready for beer use.

If you're just worrying about the chlorine/chloramine taste, there is always the campden tablet treatment.

el_horno said:
Is your tap water good enough to drink?

I do all the time and can't tell much difference between it and bottled. However the LHBS said to go buy water because of the chlorine.

I'm pretty sure if you let it sit for 24-48 hours before brew day, most of that will evaporate off.

it doesn't look bad, the chlorine level looks pretty low. I'd throw about 1/4 of a campden tablet in before the boil, stir, and call it good to go.

it doesn't look bad, the chlorine level looks pretty low. I'd throw about 1/4 of a campden tablet in before the boil, stir, and call it good to go.

Just checked mine, chlorine average is 1.7, that's higher than his, and I can definitely taste the chlorine in the beer, I was going to buy an under sink filter, do you think camden tablets are just as good?

Just checked mine, chlorine average is 1.7, that's higher than his, and I can definitely taste the chlorine in the beer, I was going to buy an under sink filter, do you think camden tablets are just as good?

I bought a whole house filter from Mcmaster for under 20 bucks, cartridge refills are around 10. Definitely worth it, and my water is not even that bad but I can taste the improvement. I just connect it to my faucet with a hose adapter.

I am planning on trying campden tabs first. I am thinking of treating 10 gallons total, to use for starter, strike and sparge. Is it necessary for the starter? The only things I have large enough are my hlt and kettle, I use a rectangular cooler for mlt. I would need to do it the night before the brew day to use it for the starter, my understanding is there is no problem with the treated water sitting, so I was going to treat, make starter and leave the rest covered till the morning. Sound ok?

I live out in the country, but have a water softener. I'm planning on brewing a pilsner soon. Is it OK to use soft water for it? My ales are usually brewed with straight well water. They turn out fine.

Back