Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Boiled grains and no irish moss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
thebeerninja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boiled grains and no irish moss

So I did a real stupid and boiled my grains while doing a brew in a bag. Then forgot Irish moss for clarity :/ so thoughts on possible outcomes from the boiling and tips for getting the clarity of the beer post boil.

So if your wondering why or how I did this like an idiot. Ill explain that next to satisfy the curious. Otherwise you can skip this section. I had friends over And we were doing multiple brews that day. Most the fiends were non brewers just hanging out, and one of my friends and I started working on our long boards etc. a lot going on. So I put the grain in and found I calculated the strike temp perfectly I hit my target temp square on the nose. Yay! I'm the best... Right. So working on stuff check at 30 and lost 10 degrees of temp :0 brewing outside in cold weather damn you. So I put the heat on, went inside then came back about 10 min later, yeah way to long. Ran out the door as I opened it yelling dear sweet lord. The bag was like a balloon on top of the pot foam and spillage everywhere. Though. Despite the bag coming loose virtually turning I side out on top the pot it still kept a pocket with nearly all the grain in it. Miracles. So killed the heat and went on as usual except for getting so distracted again I forgot Irish moss. Now it looks like sewage in my carboy.

Thanks for the advice all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 294

While boiling the grains wasn't the best idea I suspect you still made beer. We tell people not to boil the grains because that can cause astringency in the beer but you would also have to have a high pH which you most likely did not as that usually comes from over-sparging. For hundreds of years brewers did step mashes by .....removing some of the grains and wort and boiling them before returning them to the mash tun to raise the temperature.

Now that you have it in the carboy and it looks terrible, forget about it. Just keep it cool while it ferments, give it plenty of time to complete the ferment and clean up any odd flavors that the boiling might have caused (like 3 weeks in the fermenter) and then bottle and let mature.

Oh yeah, the Irish moss? I never use it and my beers come out clear anyway.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
oceans11_gt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good chance you will have an astringent tasting beer due to tannin extraction, however, it will still be beer. I havent used Irish Moss either and with enough time everything settles out and the beer is clear so no worries there.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
thebeerninja
Recipes 

image-3155278602.jpg

So here's the cloudiness. Well see how it clears. Ill try going to a secondary. Ill report on how it turns out. Thanks guys.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Don't move it to secondary until all fermentation is over. Use your hydrometer to tell when it is done. Two identical readings taken 2 to 4 days apart are the way to tell. Be patient, I don't see that the yeast has begun to settle yet.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I purposely have boiled my grain bag. Think of it as a decoction mash. As long as your pH was fine it will be good beer. Maybe cloudy cuz of the moss but it is a dark beer anyhow. You might even like this beer better. Relax.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
thebeerninja
Recipes 

Yeah funny thing is its not a dark beer. It's a blonde Belgian table beer. And I believe the ph should be fine, we use an awesome water filtration system that you can specify exactly how you want your water to come out with level of ph alkalinity etc. I've never actually tested the exactness but it should be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement I feel pretty good about how the beer will turn out now. I'm experimenting with this low gravity beer for anytime drinking and I'm also converting half to an NA batch and seeing how doing a hop infusion after removing the alcohol will help to keep some flavor. Anyways this batch is quite the Guinea pig. So ill report back on how everything goes.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
thebeerninja
Recipes 

Everything turned out swell. Even the NA version of it was great, but tasted side by side you could tell it was just missing a little something. The carb on the NA wasn't the best though. After cooking I pitched basic ale yeast added sugar and bottled. Just wasn't enough carb power. That shouldn't be to hard to remedy.

Quick Reply