The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Boil Overs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
jamen46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Boil Overs

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this thread, but here it goes.

I had a super frustrating brew last night. I did an all zythos blend IPA and I could not get it to stop boiling over. As a result, I only got about 50% efficiency and missed my target OG by .016, and, with a 90 minute boil.

I should note that I do use a 7.5 gallon brew kettle, so boil overs are an issue for me, especially during hop additions. However, I can usually get it under control after 1 or 2. Last night, it continued for the entire 90 minute boil. And it was not just during hop additions either. It was the entire time. I tried everything: ice cubes, decreasing the heat, stirring, skimming the thicker foam with a slotted spoon.

I guess one question would be, are some grains more apt to boilover than others?

Please help...

J Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always get potential boil overs with Pilsen malt. That's been the worst for me. But I started using Fermcap.... Just a couple drops right as it starts to foam up, and like magic, it all dies down and no boil overs to worry about!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
DonNowlin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 fermcaps. Works great with yeast starters too.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

...or you can use these

gnp_infant_anti-gas_drops.jpg

they solved all my boil over issues both in my brew kettle and my Erlenmeyer flask for starters. I buy the unflavored ones they are easier to find at any drugstore.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I've had a couple of near-boilovers (5 gallon pot, about 3.5 gallon partial boils) recently. I've found using a spray bottle set on a heavy mist at the first hint that it's thinking about boiling up helps, accompanied by vigorous stirring while spraying. If it gets too close for comfort, I lift the pot off the burner until it settles. This is fairly dangerous with a 5 gal pot and I wouldn't recommend it with larger ones... if you have a gas stove or burner you could probably just turn off / down the flame to get the same effect, but with an electric burner it takes too long to cool down to be effective. Having a second person on hand to turn down the heat while you hold the pot, cursing and praying not to dump boiling wort foam all over the kitchen is extremely helpful but not strictly required.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

+1 on the spray bottle of water. Works like a charm for me!!

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
jamen46
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Great advice, folks. Thanks!!

Quick Reply