Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Boil kettle drain techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I use whole hops and a false bottom in the kettle. Works fine unless I forget to put the false bottom in, but wouldn't work if I used pellet hops.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How important is it to reduce unwanted material being transferred from the kettle into the Fermentation vessel?

Is there any evidence that the final product will be clearer or taste any difference if transfer of this material is avoided?

Will it not just settle out in the Primary especially if cold crashed?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
bigdongsr94
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In response to el_caro:

I see some of the more senior brewers in the board say they just dump the whiole pot in. I really need to just try this. I suspect you get the same beer but more if it. More trub too but that settles and then you are left with more liquid. I don't like diluting my beers and I typically leave .5 gallon or more of sludge in my brew pot and my final bottle count is a little short.i could account for this but why not get all you can out of it first. If that makes any sense.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

With the new hop strainer I only get break material. Just dump it all into the primary. Brews have been great so far.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Paul_Aris
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So a False bottom in my Keggle won't help if I use pellet hops. Right now I am using a 5 gallon paint strainer set up to strain and contain my hops during the boil. Contains most of the hop material but I still get a lot of break material using wirlflock.

Go Big or Go Home

Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdongsr94 View Post
In response to el_caro:

I see some of the more senior brewers in the board say they just dump the whiole pot in. I really need to just try this. I suspect you get the same beer but more if it. More trub too but that settles and then you are left with more liquid. I don't like diluting my beers and I typically leave .5 gallon or more of sludge in my brew pot and my final bottle count is a little short.i could account for this but why not get all you can out of it first. If that makes any sense.
I'm not a senior brewer by any stretch, but I have literally just dumped everything in the kettle - hops, break material and all - and have gotten clear beer in the end.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Last time I used whole hops with pellets my intake kept clogging (side wall dip tube) and I had a hell of a time trying to use my pump to whirlpool as I usually do.

The pellet/whole hop combo seems to be a nightmare. I have a a few lbs of whole hops I need to get rid of as they are getting old and I was thinking of adding them to my existing DIPA recipe. Figured I'd get any bonus bitterness/flavour from them. I need to figure out how to prevent a clog up by tomorrow! This is going to be a massive beer.

(Oh and while Oxyclean may not be registered as a sanitiser by the FDA, in reality it does work.)

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I too used to lose a lot of my wort due to not filtering out the trub and hot/cold break. I tried the paint strainer suggestion, and it works great. I put one filter on top of another in a metal strainer, and pour through the 4 layers of strainer. A little bit of "silt" gets through, but everything that has settled and flocked out pretty much gets caught in the strainers. Ever since I started using Irish Moss, I have been getting better results. The strainers start to clog and the trub is another layer of fitration for the trub. My pot does have not a spigot yet, so that is why I pour, but I don't lose the usual 1/2 gallon like I used to.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13 View Post
With the new hop strainer I only get break material. Just dump it all into the primary. Brews have been great so far.
+1 to this technique. I use to stress over getting only the clearest wort into to my fermenter but after a few brew sessions whilst having a few too many I've found the f it technique works just as well. Ive found that clear beer is more about a good hot break and a rapid chill than the trub being transfered ymmv though. I do use a hop spider on any brew with over 3 ounces of hops though, not so much for clarity but because I can hang and drain the spider to minimize my hop losses.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
PastorofMuppets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 39

To be honest adding a ball valve to my BK was a wonderful investment.
I have a 1/2 inch ball valve and a small amount of tubing when opened it flows into a sanitized paint strainer bag into my fermenting bucket. I keeps tons of stuff out. Required when i make IPAs but useful anytime really. It also helps aeration nicely on the way out, but i also use bottled oxygen.

Quick Reply