The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BM, how do you do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default BM, how do you do it?

Well I must say that my last two low gravity beers have been ahhhh, rather poor in quality. In fact, I am very close to throwing them out. Grant these were some of my first AG's but still...

#1 Oatmeal stout, got poor efficiency, OG 1.036 FG 1.010, TG 1.067, (first solo AG)tastes like I got all the black patent, but it has no body. Tasted very phenolic when I put it on tap a few months ago, so I pulled it off and let it age till now.

#2 AHS Newcastle Clone, OG 1.038 FG 1.008- tastes like bitter water with a hint of soap, efficiency wasn't great on this one either, TG was 1.046

Now I understand that my poor efficiency on these may have a LARGE part to do with this, but after putting these side by side on tap and being very disappointed, I am worried about a Ordinary Bitter I did last week, I did have 76% efficiency on that batch after making some changes to my process.

So is there a trick with low gravity beers? Or is it simply my poor efficiency that is affecting these beers? Anything I have done with an OG over 1.045 has come out well.

Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you'll have to be a lot more specific and post the recipes, with the grain bills, and mash schedule with exact temperatures that were reached.

poor efficiency could be the grain crush, your water fighting the right pH range, or a lack of properly rinsing the grains.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Yeah, i figgured that after I posted, sorry I should know better... I had just poured a pint and was kinda peeved, so I didnt go pull out my recipies or details. I will post those tonight when I get back home.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mr. Wizard answered a similar question n this months BYO. He said something to the effect of "This requires tought love. I'm willing to venture the problem isn't with the pale ales, it's a problem in all of your beers. Pale ales tend to be less forgiving of non-ideal proceedure."

Same concept. Perhaps there's something in all of your beers that are throwing it off but it only become noticeable on the smaller beers

I notice two things in your problems, phenolic and soap flavor. Both of these scream "cleaner residue" to me. What santitizer do you use?

Other possibility is your water - have you checked out your water profile? Phenolic flavors can come from chlorine and a few other water "enrichments".

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm sorry, but the title can't go completely unpunished. "Bowel Movement, how do you do it?"

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

We need to talk about what you've been doing to the water since our water here sucks so bad. If you're sticking with just our high alkaline tap water, I'm betting that's your problem. The high pH will also really hurt your efficiency and can cause some tannin extraction and REALLY make the hops stand out. I've been using ~ 80% RO water lately + 5.2 pH buffer and that seem to have solved things for me, even with light, low gravity beers.

Also, if you're just looking for a little more body, then you might want to raise your mash temps a few degrees. Do you know what you mashed those beers at?

BTW - you've gotta come over and try that ESB we did a few weeks ago. I think it turned out really good!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Beerlord
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
I'm sorry, but the title can't go completely unpunished. "Bowel Movement, how do you do it?"
Thought the same thing, but being a nurse 3/4's of my day revolves around sombody taking a dump.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what is he actually referring to when he says "BM"? Is he specifically addressing BierMuncher?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I am nearly certain that your low efficiency has a lot to do with your disappointing results. That throws your recipe far out of balance toward the specialty grains, which do not answer to the efficiency gods. See how that bitter comes out and look for any common problems with all three beers.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Yes, I was referring to BierMuncher in the title because I know he makes alot of low gravity beers, like I said, I was peeved when I posted, so I am open to all ridicule you may throw at me

Yes our water profile sucks with very high bicarb levels, but I have been using the 5.2. Like I said, my larger beers have turned out awesome, just cracked open a bottle of a double IPA I did last night to calm my nerves and it was awesome. (well, its not as hoppy as I wanted, but it is still good.) It probably is due to more ingredients covering up underlying flaws in the beer.

The two beers in question were low efficiency beers, being some of my first solo AG's. I am pretty sure the low efficiency was due to low temperatures in my mash, low sparging temps, and poor sparging technique. I have addressed these problems with my last 3 batches and have been getting ~75-80% on those.

As far as cleaning/sanitizing, I have been cleaning with hot water, maybe some oxyclean on tough stuff, rinsing well, and using star san to sanitize.

Like I said above, now that I have calmed down and thought about it a little, I think I know where my problems lie, but I will still post all my recipies and notes when I get home this afternoon.

Thanks guys for even giving my first poorly formed post the time of day! After re-reading it, I probably would have ignored it myself…

Quick Reply