Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Blichmann 15 Gallon Mashtun and Boil Kettle Equipment Profiles for Beersmith 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
grainstoglass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blichmann 15 Gallon Mashtun and Boil Kettle Equipment Profiles for Beersmith 2.0

Just bought beersmith 2.0 last evening and it looks like it is going to be an awesome tool for my recipe formulations. After perusing the various features I noticed fairly quickly how important it is to make your own equipment profile for the equipment you own in order to get accurate data on the recipes you create. Does anyone have an equipment profile using a 15 gallon blichmann mashtun and a 15 gallon blichmann boil kettle? If someone else has the same pots at least I can figure out a basic estimate of efficiencies and losses to plug into beersmith until I can update the program with my own facts and figures.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
imperialipa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did boiloff rates, dead space measurements etc. But Its at home in my log. I'll try to post it all later tonight.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The problem with boiloff rates is that they're so variable.
It can change pretty significantly with the seasons (drier air in the winter, higher boiloff), and depends on what rate you run your burner at.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
imperialipa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That is correct. but you have to have somethng to go on so you can roughly calculate how much wort to collect to boil down to your final volume.

So at least having a "close" to % for BeerSmith is very important if you dont want to have to guess each time how much wort to collect.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
grainstoglass
Recipes 

Default That would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialipa View Post
I did boiloff rates, dead space measurements etc. But Its at home in my log. I'll try to post it all later tonight.
Thanks! If you could do that at least it will give me a starting point. What did you enter for the weight of the 15 gallon blichmann? I've looked it up and gotten three different weight measurements. Without a scale I may be forced to estimate.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
imperialipa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry I totally forgot about this thread. I have a 10 gallon Blichman. But getting boiloff rates is easy.

I measured the deadspace volume. (Basically fill the blichman until you see the water coming thru the false bottom. that is your deadspace volume to put into Beersmith.

2nd I filled up the blichman with 7 gallons of water and brought it to a rolling boil for 60 min. I ended up boiling off almost exactly 1.5 gallons.

That at least helped me figure out a starting point. I found that with wort its actually really close to water boil off. For my 10 gallon unit if I sparge to 7 gallons and boil for 60 min I get 5.5 gallons left over almost everytime.

I am sure there is some math equation to figure out ambient temperature and altitude.. But my method is close enough and allows me to estimate my post boil gravity from pre boil gravity pretty darn dead on.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Brewsncrabs
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a thread on beer smith.com that explains everything in detail and has formulas to plug in numbers. Just search for it there. There is a guy from Sweden named Sig I believe who http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index....0;attach=1955

Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Brewsncrabs
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsncrabs
There is a thread on beer smith.com that explains everything in detail and has formulas to plug in numbers. Just search for it there. There is a guy from Sweden named Sig I believe who http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index....0;attach=1955
Sorry. Darn iPhone key pads. Just read the article above and follow the link to Pat's thread. Read it all thoroughly and you will understand everything. There is another link in their somewhere to a formula for figuring out boil off.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 42

necro post-

so whats the value you've used for your 15g blichmanns? I have a BK MT and HLT 15g

thanks

TD

Quick Reply