Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Black Walnut Robust Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Rohlk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Black Walnut Robust Porter

I put together a Robust Porter recipe and plan on using some walnuts I got from my friends place. Whats the best way to use walnuts in a beer? I was thinking about roasting them and putting them in the mash. Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would roast them and add them, crushed, into the secondary if you want a walnut flavor. You could add them to the mash, but most of the flavor will be gone after the boil. Lager after secondary is through to get most of the oils to separate. I'm getting ready to do something similar with a peanut porter and will be making a walnut beer once they start falling from the tree.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
jamesmp
Recipes 

Maybe try steeping some first and see how extraction goes - the papery skins on nuts are high in tannins which may make it easy to overshoot. You could also look into walnut liquor and try steeping them in alcohol before adding to secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply