*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bitter Orange Peel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
alz28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bitter Orange Peel

I just ordered two sacs of grain and a pound of East Kent Goldings to brew up a Wit beer. I was wanting to know if anyone knew a place to order bitter orange peels in bulk? I have a great place here in Houston to buy corriander at 35 cents a 10 gallon batch but the best deal on orange peels is 1.49 + tax. per ounce. Let me know what ya got fellas.

"I don't have a drinking problem....I drink...I get drunk....no problem". Carl Sloan "Sloany" Bradford PA. R.I.P. brother.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

alz28 - No answer to your question, but WOW, that qualifies as go big or go home. I bow to you.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For a true witbier try fresh grapefruit peel or better yet, seville orange peel if you can find them. Rumor has it that seville oranges are sold in some ethnic markets as sour oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Dunno about 'true'. I think you'll find the most traditional ingredient is the dried peel.

The peel of Curaçao Oranges is actually green before it is dried; the skin doesn't ripen to orange. When dried, the peel actually looks mouldy, though it is not; it is greenish-greyish-blue on one side and white on the other.

By the 1600s, crops of bitter Seville Oranges had been established on Curaçao Island in the Caribbean. Though the trees there started from Seville Oranges, they have now been recognized as being slightly different and so have acquired their own botanical name: Citrus aurantium var. curassaviensis, or Aurantium amarae pericarpium.

If your LHBS stocks products distributed by L D Carlson, Bitter Orange Peel can be had in bulk. I'm sure you can make them a deal.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 11-20-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
T-Hops
Recipes 

Check out Northern Brewer. They sell it by the pound.
Search Results

Old 11-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
alz28
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the help fellas. Looks like Northern Brew it is. I could go down to the LHBS and buy up what little they have on the shelf but I dont want to screw it up for a brewer who just decides to do a Wit that day and they are out of orange peels. Plus its about a 50 minute to hour and a half round trip to the HBSs here in Houston. I will order a pound now.
Thanks again

"I don't have a drinking problem....I drink...I get drunk....no problem". Carl Sloan "Sloany" Bradford PA. R.I.P. brother.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Please note that I wasn't recommending going to your LHBS and buying them out of stock. I was recommending going to your LHBS and saying something like, "I want a pound of bitter Curacao orange peel. What kind of deal can you give me?"

The gang at NB are cool, too. Have fun!

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 10 Posts

I use valencia oranges. You can get these at a place like AJ's or any place that has a excellent selection of spices.

Valencia orange peels have an excellent orange flavor, like grand marnier.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
alz28
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Please note that I wasn't recommending going to your LHBS and buying them out of stock. I was recommending going to your LHBS and saying something like, "I want a pound of bitter Curacao orange peel. What kind of deal can you give me?"

The gang at NB are cool, too. Have fun!
LOL. I know what you meant when you said to buy from my HBS in bulk. I know one stocks Brewers Garden and Im not sure they can get that in bulk. Now I have ordered from Austin Brew and it came in packaging that looks....I guess you could say somthing I can do at home. Next time Im at the LHBS Ill ask about bulk orange peels. For now my pound of orange peels should be here Wed the 26. It came out to $1.31 a ounce shipped to my door.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
alz28
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
I use valencia oranges. You can get these at a place like AJ's or any place that has a excellent selection of spices.

Valencia orange peels have an excellent orange flavor, like grand marnier.
Ive thought of making my own like you mentioned. I have seen valencia oranges here in Texas before. I guess you just lay them out and let them air dry.

Quick Reply