The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Big mash, small tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Chefencore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Big mash, small tun

Making a baltic porter today! Yum My problem is that once I have made all of my infusions, I have reached the capacity of my mash tun, and according to calculations, need 3.5 cups sparge. This is with a 14# grist and mashing in a 1qt/lb. It's a 2 step infusion with mashout 122- 139- 158- 170.
My question is can I do a reverse decoction and use the liquid to raise the mash temp?

"What do you use to weigh down your hop spider?"

"Hops..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Here's what I would do because this is what I always do: Do a single step!

My beers turn out more than fine that way and I use a cooler system. If you really want to do the steps I would start at 139* and then increase to 158*. I never do a mashout. From what I've gathered that is a technique borrowed from commercial brewers that isn't really needed on the homebrew level. The goal is to stop the enzyme activity because on a commercial scale it takes hours to transfer from the mashtun to the boil kettle and then a long, long time to heat that to a boil where it only takes us a bit.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1063 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

I brewed a Baltic Porter several months ago. I didn't do a step mash and still wasn't able to run enough through the sparge to get any kind of decent efficiency. I wound up adding 2lbs DME in order to get a 1.080og. Despite all my troubles, it turned out amazing and one of my new favorite styles (I had never even tried one before brewing it).

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
Here's what I would do because this is what I always do: Do a single step!

My beers turn out more than fine that way and I use a cooler system. If you really want to do the steps I would start at 139* and then increase to 158*. I never do a mashout. From what I've gathered that is a technique borrowed from commercial brewers that isn't really needed on the homebrew level. The goal is to stop the enzyme activity because on a commercial scale it takes hours to transfer from the mashtun to the boil kettle and then a long, long time to heat that to a boil where it only takes us a bit.
I second this. At the very least, cut your mash out and just fly sparge after your saccharification rest. Use water that's initially at 175 to 180 to get the bed temp up a bit. Then just maintain to about 170 to finish it.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 13

First off, nothing wrong with a single infusion mash, many commercial breweries use this approach and you can make a great beer this way.

I'm a little confused as you mention a 2 step mash, but there are 4 different temps listed, it looks likes a 3 step mash with a mash out. Like the other poster mentioned, I'd stick to two temperatures and skip the mash out. That should give you more water to sparge with which is important as baltic porters tend to have a pretty high OG.

Quick Reply