Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB, why mashout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1271 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
What are the enzymes doing that need stopped? If I pull the bag out and drain/squeeze isn't that enough? I only mentioned water volume because I figured the extra amount with BIAB/no sparge would take care of rinsing the sugars. I'm still new so be gentle!
ayoungrad addressed the technical issues, but to answer your other question: I see no benefit to doing a mashout with a full volume, no sparge BIAB. If you're getting good results without one, you've got no reason to change.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
Seven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I'm confident that mashouts with BIAB do make a difference.

Converting starches to sugars is one thing. But comparing traditional AG mashouts to BIAB mashouts is like comparing apples to oranges. With AG, it's all about stopping enzymatic activity, etc. With BIAB, the mash is heated to 170 to make it more fluid and thereby easier to drain the wort into the kettle. Getting as much wort as possible into the kettle is critical with no-sparge BIAB. Try it some time and you'll see the difference...

This whole argument about whether efficiency can be improved or not but doing a mashout sounds like it would be a good experiment. Mash two batches of grain and keep everything identical except that one gets a mashout and the other doesn't. Then calculate efficiency and see if there is a difference or not. I will try this one day unless someone else beats me to it.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1271 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Converting starches to sugars is one thing. But comparing traditional AG mashouts to BIAB mashouts is like comparing apples to oranges. With AG, it's all about stopping enzymatic activity, etc. With BIAB, the mash is heated to 170 to make it more fluid and thereby easier to drain the wort into the kettle. Getting as much wort as possible into the kettle is critical with no-sparge BIAB. Try it some time and you'll see the difference...
I understand what you're saying; I just disagree. I'm not sure what "grain bed fluidity" means in this context, and I can't really picture how cooler grain husks would retain more water than warmer grain husks would. Certainly the temperature difference isn't impacting solubility in a way that should be relevant to home brewers.

More importantly, I have run exactly the experiment you are proposing dozens of times. Sometimes I batch sparge with hot water and sometimes with cold. My system is honed in and I hit my numbers every time. I get identical lauter efficiency numbers at 60ºF that I get at 170ºF. You're welcome to whatever opinion you'd like, of course, but I've never seen anything other than conventional wisdom to suggest that grain bed temperature at drain/lauter/bag-removal impacts efficiency.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #24
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1140 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The more controlled way to do this experiment is to first test for sugar concentration at the end of the mash to calculate mash efficiency. Then suspend the bag and time exactly 5 minutes of draining. Measure the volume and gravity. Next, put the bag back into the pot/wort, raise the temp to 170 and repeat the 5 minute hang and measurements.

If the second gravity reading is higher, ramping the temp added more conversion.
If the gravity is all the same but the second volume is higher, the theory of "wort fluidity" is confirmed for now.

My best guess is that any increases in efficiency simply due to raised temps is due to added conversion.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #25
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I do a mashout I'll get a few more gravity points but they generally also show up in my FG, so they are mostly unfermentables. Its a good trick for when I want more body.

As for the warmer wort flowing better, the difference in viscosity is negligible and draining occurs nicely either way.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I'm confident that mashouts with BIAB do make a difference.

This whole argument about whether efficiency can be improved or not but doing a mashout sounds like it would be a good experiment. Mash two batches of grain and keep everything identical except that one gets a mashout and the other doesn't. Then calculate efficiency and see if there is a difference or not. I will try this one day unless someone else beats me to it.
+1 on getting more extraction on Mashout; I get about 3-5 OG points w/170 mashout as I begin to heat my mash tun / boil kettle. You gotta heat it anyway?... Also, the whole Denatured enzyme is a redhering in BIAB.

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks for the collective information, brewed BIAB style this morning and didn't bother w/ a mashout...will report w/ results, but since I have no control experiment, lets just say I'm happy to shortcut the process for a perhaps a few handfulls of grain.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2
HopZombie99 Likes This 
Old 03-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #28
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoenb View Post
+1 on getting more extraction on Mashout; I get about 3-5 OG points w/170 mashout as I begin to heat my mash tun / boil kettle. You gotta heat it anyway?... Also, the whole Denatured enzyme is a redhering in BIAB.
BIAB has tons of variations. Not everyone uses the exact set-up or techniques that you use. As an example... some people even BIAB and mash the night or day before they start their boil because of timing issues, etc. For them, mashing out makes sense.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #29
BeerAlchemist
Recipes 

I heard using a mash out helps yeast ferment later on by removing more of certain proteins from the grains as well as higher ABV from natural sugars.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #30
enkamania
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
For example, if a given bill normally takes 60 minutes to convert at 152F, you can do 30 minutes at 152 and spend 15 minutes ramping up to 168 and it will definitely be done.
I might just try this.

Wasn't it a millionaire who said, "Imagine no possessions"?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS