The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > biab sparge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If your bag and vessel are big enough, you drape the edges of the bag over the walls of the pot or cooler and put some quick clamps on. Now you can stir the grain and water together as if the bag weren't there.
You need a big bag. The BIAB folks say the bag should be big enough to put the pot (or cooler in this case) entirely inside the bag. Mine is almost, but not quite, this big.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #22
zakleeright
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last weekend, I just jumped from extract/steeping grains to partial mash, using DeathBrewer's method - tres cool!! I made a stout recipe and my efficiency was higher than the guy at my LHBS thought. Using the calcs from "Designing Great Beers", I determined I only needed 3 of the 4 lbs of DME he gave me. I highly recommend you checkout DB's thread on that stovetop method. I'll be bottling that stout in two weeks, and have high hopes for it.
cheers

- zakleeright

Old 10-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #23
hlumbard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What would stop you from doing BIAB for all grain, not just partial? I'm sure I'm missing something. This is the first I've heard of BIAB.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #24
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
This is essentially what I do.
Glad to hear that you do the same as me. I don't hear of many people doing this technique, and I can't understand why. I see a lot of posts about people bragging about how cheap they can get into all grain with a braided hose and converted cooler, but I'm like, why even bother with the hose?

For me, the grain bags that I found were not fine enough to really strain out all husk materials, but I haven't seen the one you mentioned in person.

My five gal paint strainer hangs just right in my 5 gal cooler, but I usually prop it up from the bottom about an inch with a saucer just to give the bag some support. If the bag is too heavy, the top of the bag will slip off the rim of the cooler, which is annoying, but not a huge deal.

I've never pushed the limits of my system beyond 10lbs or so, but I have no problem thinking that its possible to do 13-14lbs if you are careful. One thing I notice is that with 10lbs of grain, my single batch sparge comes right up to the rim of the cooler without overflowing, so you might need to split the sparge into 2 if you are short on space.

And yeah, stuck sparges are basically impossible. Did a pumpkin ale with 60oz of roasted pumpkin goo in the mash and didn't have a stuck sparge.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 10-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #25
RobbyBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been doing BIAB for a while now, so this idea made instant sense to me. I went out and got me a 5 gallon Homer cooler last night and I'm giving it a go right now.

I've been happy with BIAB, but I had been looking to do a cooler conversion, just to learn the technique. Now I'm wondering what's the point? This is the best of both worlds. Easier than managing grains on the stovetop, plus no sparge problems.

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #26
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlumbard View Post
What would stop you from doing BIAB for all grain, not just partial? I'm sure I'm missing something. This is the first I've heard of BIAB.
Sure, you can do it for all-grain.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #27
mychalg9
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What size pot would I need for the BIAB method, assuming 5 gallon recipe?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #28
jvlpdillon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I use an 8 gallon pot most of my 5 gallon batches are made with about 12-13 lbs of grain.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #29
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Rule of thumb would say 10 Gallon pot for 5 gallon batch. You'd need about 8 gallons of water initially to insure about 6.5 gallons for the boil.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #30
mychalg9
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses! I have a 7.5 gal but I will try to upgrade to a 10 gal asap.

Quick Reply