Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > biab sparge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
beerbelay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default biab sparge?

Having gone from extract to partial mash I am considering the baib method. I'm wondering why is there not a sparge. I understand that the mashout is going to increase extraction but if some sparge was calculated in wouldn't it be better?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Traditional BIAB uses a full volume mash and does not require a sparge. With a thorough grain crush BIAB efficiency can be quite high, especially for lower gravity worts. Some BIAB brewers sparge by dunking their grain bag in another vessel, or by sprinkling sparge water on and through the bag as it is suspended over the kettle.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 10-23-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm in the same boat -- thinking of making the jump to all grain.

My understanding is that biab evolved because some home brewers were brainstorming on how to brew using a single vessel. So I believe the method doesn't sparge precisely because it would require using a second container.

That said, I don't think there's any reason you couldn't sparge if you wanted to bring the efficiency up a bit. In fact, that's essentially what DeathBrewer does in his Easy Stovetop method.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
beerbelay
Recipes 

Thanks for that. I have read that before but it must of leaked out of one of my earholes. Yep thats where I'm coming from. Thanks tophmck (and Deathbrewer)

Old 10-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #5
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default BIAB method

In the March-April 2009 BYO mag, they talk about the lack of a sparge in BIAB. It sounds like because you have your full boil volume on the grain, the qt/lb ratio is rather high, but allows for a higher conversion without a sparge. They report 75%-80% efficiency, with lower gravity beers being the most efficient.

I was also intrigued by their 'no chill' method of wort cooling. Put the hot wort into a santized plastic cube, squeeze out any air, and cap it. Wait a day (or several), then transfer to your fermenter at room temp, pitch & watch it bubble away.

Would love to try that someday!
--LexusChris

Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I just got into BIAB and have done 2 batches. Doing 5 gallon batches and 11 lbs of grain I'm getting 70% eff. Perhaps sparging would help but honestly adding 1 lb of grain is worth not having to heat another pot of water. I'm finishing a BIAB in 4 hrs. Maybe 30 minutes longer than an extract brew. I'm satisfied w/ this and probably won't go to a 2nd vessel.

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's not that difficult to add a sparge. You'd just calculate your mash rate for the full volume minus like 2 gallons. Heat that extra 2 gallons of water in whatever pot you have and then dunk the grain bag in that water after the mash is done. Then combine the wort into the larger pot. I think it would add 3 minutes to the brew day. You'd probably add 3-5% more efficiency so it's a small gain for cleaning an extra pot.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've got one keggle and one burner so its easier to just kill the heat for the mash and cover then fire it back up and game on. Its a little heavy to set off the burner to heat a second pot then sparge and put it back on the burner. I lose around 1 gallon to grain absorption then a little less than 2 for boil off and cold break.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, I get that. You could put a couple gallons on the stove top while you're mashing in the keg depending on your logistics. You could also just fill an ale pail with 2 gallons of tap water and dunk sparge in that. There are a lot of ways to skin the cat.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You think you could get more sugar by sparging w/ tap water? Maybe at its hottest I guess? I hadn't considered that since I thought you'd need 170* sparge water to get anything extra from the grains.

Quick Reply