New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB with small pot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
ylee21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default BIAB with small pot

I want to make sure this setup is ok...

I'm doing one gallon test batches with the BIAB method. After I factor in grain absorption and boil off rate, I need 7 qts to start with to end with 1 gallon for a 60 minute boil. The issue is my pot is an 8 qt pot. If I fill the pot up to 7 qts then put in the grain, it will overflow.

Is it ok to only use 4 or 5 qts for the mash, then fill the rest of the pot up after the grain comes out?

I know the real answer is "get a bigger pot", but I want to brew today and if I spend another dollar on something my wife will possibly hurt me...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
jcdouglas
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, it's fine. You could pull the grains out and soak the grains in the top up water at 170° F. Then squeeze the bag and add the water to your main pot.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For best efficiency, it is best not to add water, but rather "sparge" and rinse the grain as much as possible. This can be done by either dunking the bag in the top up water in a bucket, sprinkling the water over the grain bag. You could also add boiling water from a smaller pot to the mash to nearly fill your kettle, stir well and then remove the bag, this will max out your smaller pot.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
BrewTutorials
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
For best efficiency, it is best not to add water, but rather "sparge" and rinse the grain as much as possible. This can be done by either dunking the bag in the top up water in a bucket, sprinkling the water over the grain bag. You could also add boiling water from a smaller pot to the mash to nearly fill your kettle, stir well and then remove the bag, this will max out your smaller pot.
I second the sparge method as this has worked well for me.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
ylee21
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Perfect, thanks!

Quick Reply