Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default BIAB Question

Hello,

I've been doing extract for a while and I'm in the middle of making the switch to AG, but I also wanted to try BIAB. I wanted to try Northern Brewers Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale BIAB kit (), but I had a question about the size of my kettle.

I've read that most people seem to be fine with using a 5 gallon kettle, which is what I have for my extract brewing, but I'm a little afraid that my 5 gallon kettle is too small with the grain bill that this kit has. What do you guys think?

I also have 7.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot that I have never used. I guess I could use that, but would like to stick with SS.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
kmos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A 5 gallon pot will be too small. Since this is a no-sparge method, you will need to begin with the total volume of water (in this case, approx. 5.5 gallons, PLUS the grains).

Use the aluminum pot -- you'll be fine.

And welcome to all grain!

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 12

With only a 3 gal batch, your 5 gal pot will be rather full, but should work if you are careful. I would use the 7 gal alum. pot without hesitation, to each their own.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Sounds good, thanks for the info. Also does anyone know if this mesh bag () for BIAB from Northern Brewer is reusable.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmos View Post
A 5 gallon pot will be too small. Since this is a no-sparge method, you will need to begin with the total volume of water (in this case, approx. 5.5 gallons, PLUS the grains).

Use the aluminum pot -- you'll be fine.

And welcome to all grain!

+1 on the AL kettle; with a good oxidized layer it is perfectly fine. My Kettle doesn't hold all my total Mash/Sparge Water.. so, I hold back some Water every time and add it after the Mash/Bag removal and then I always hit my pre-boil gravity number by adjusting by home much water I need to add. Usually it's only a cup/two variation required

~ BIAB : All Grain Made Easy ; Mash, Sparge, Boil all in the same Kettle ~ all you need is a bag and a hook!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Flatspin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can actually do a full 5 gallon batch with the pots thou have. Mash in the 7.5 gallon pot and at the same time heat up a couple gallons of sparge water (depending on your recipe) to about 170*F in your 5 gallon pot.

When your mash is finished lift the bag out of your mash pot letting it drain for a minute or two. Then just put the bag of grains into your sparge pot, stir, and let it sit for a few minutes.

Afte sparging, squeeze the bag if you can stand the heat and dump the sparge water into the 7.5 gallon pot which can already be heating up to a boil. This is the method I have been using since going AG, and with 80% efficiency I don't see any reason to spend. $100+ on a mash tun.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoenb

+1 on the AL kettle; with a good oxidized layer it is perfectly fine. My Kettle doesn't hold all my total Mash/Sparge Water.. so, I hold back some Water every time and add it after the Mash/Bag removal and then I always hit my pre-boil gravity number by adjusting by home much water I need to add. Usually it's only a cup/two variation required
To get an oxidized layer you just boil water in it for 30 minutes right?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
Hello,

I've been doing extract for a while and I'm in the middle of making the switch to AG, but I also wanted to try BIAB. I wanted to try Northern Brewers Oatmeal Cookie Brown Ale BIAB kit (), but I had a question about the size of my kettle.

I've read that most people seem to be fine with using a 5 gallon kettle, which is what I have for my extract brewing, but I'm a little afraid that my 5 gallon kettle is too small with the grain bill that this kit has. What do you guys think?

I also have 7.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot that I have never used. I guess I could use that, but would like to stick with SS.
A 5 gallon kettle will work for a 3 gallon batch of no-sparge BIAB beer. I've done several 2.5-3 gallon BIAB batches with my 5 gallon stovetop kettle. It will be a bit tight, but it will work. The most important thing to know is whether your stove will put out enough heat to boil that much water. Mine does, but it takes a while.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 53

+1 (heck I have even done stove top BIAB with three 5 gallon pots, PITA though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspin View Post
you can actually do a full 5 gallon batch with the pots thou have. Mash in the 7.5 gallon pot and at the same time heat up a couple gallons of sparge water (depending on your recipe) to about 170*f in your 5 gallon pot.

When your mash is finished lift the bag out of your mash pot letting it drain for a minute or two. Then just put the bag of grains into your sparge pot, stir, and let it sit for a few minutes.

Afte sparging, squeeze the bag if you can stand the heat and dump the sparge water into the 7.5 gallon pot which can already be heating up to a boil. This is the method i have been using since going ag, and with 80% efficiency i don't see any reason to spend. $100+ on a mash tun.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
bk0
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You can use a 5 gallon kettle to do both the mash and boil for up to about 13lbs of grain. I do this all the time.

Your efficiency will be limited, though, because you only have room for 1 small batch sparge at best. You'll have to squeeze the hell out of the bag to get the wort out. I max out at around 70% efficiency, so it's not terrible. Make sure you get a good crush on your grain.

Quick Reply