The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Bookem15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default BIAB question

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but here it goes. I have done several batches of extract with steeping grains and now I want to try BIAB to see if I want to move to all grain. My question is can I just use all grain recipes to attempt BIAB style brewing. I want to try a couple of kits from midwest and do not want to buy them until I know for sure.

Thanks for any and all help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Yep, just add up what it says to use for sparge water and the mash water, and count that as your full mash water. So if it's like 3g of one and 4g of the other, start heating 7g of water and go from there.

May want to save some water for a quick dunk or batch sparge the bag at the end to increase efficiency, but not required technically...

Old 08-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The easiest way to do it is to get BeerSmith II, which has a tool that converts AG recipes based on your equipment and techniques, including BIAB. BeerSmith II cost $22.00 right now at Birdman Brewing.

But yeah, you can also either add up the water like the post above suggests for a full-volume mash, or you can do a BIAB sparge, where you take the sparge instructions from a normal AG recipe and sparge the water through the BIAB bag after the initial draining of the bag. You'll typically get higher efficencies with this method for BIAB becuase the sparge rinses the grains pretty thoroughly, so if you like full-bodied beers (to style), it is a good option.

Seriously, though, if you have the money, get BeerSmith II, for $22.00 it converts everything, does all calculations, and is a GREAT tool for when you start to design your own recipes. That's a serious bargin in my book.

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
rdharris55
Recipes 

I use this handy dandy calculator http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/ and then drain and dunk my bag a few times to provide a reasonable rinse of the grain at the end of mashing. Seems to work fine and my final wort volume has been pretty close to my target.

Quick Reply