Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Pumpkin Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

For those brewing a 5.5g BIAB batch, what was your starting amount of water? I have the same grain bill a little different weights. 12.5# 2-Row, 1.5# Crystal 60, and 1# Victory. Beer Review Dude BIAB Calculator gives me a 8.4g strike water, but I calculated on another calculator (can't seem to find it now) and it gave me 9 gallons. I've been missing my 5.5 gallon amount lately, so I want to say the Beer Review Dude calculator is off but just wanted a second opinion. Not sure how to account for the pumpkin either; more, less, or the same water?

Secondly, When should I add the 1lb of brown sugar? The recipe calls for 60 min additions but I have read different opinions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
For those brewing a 5.5g BIAB batch, what was your starting amount of water? I have the same grain bill a little different weights. 12.5# 2-Row, 1.5# Crystal 60, and 1# Victory. Beer Review Dude BIAB Calculator gives me a 8.4g strike water, but I calculated on another calculator (can't seem to find it now) and it gave me 9 gallons. I've been missing my 5.5 gallon amount lately, so I want to say the Beer Review Dude calculator is off but just wanted a second opinion. Not sure how to account for the pumpkin either; more, less, or the same water?

Secondly, When should I add the 1lb of brown sugar? The recipe calls for 60 min additions but I have read different opinions.
it all depends on how much you boil off and if you squeeze the bag or not.

I use this formula
grain weight * .066 = absorption
batch size + absorption + boil off + trub loss = water needed

8 gallons but I squeeze the hell out of the bag and only lose .25 gallons to trub with a boil off of 1.25 gallons per hour. Adjust your numbers for your system. once you have a few under your belt you'll know what you need to adjust in the formula to get the numbers you need.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I guessed and brewed with 8 gallons, but came up short (probably fermented around 4.75 gal) -- rookie mistake, I'm still figuring out my new brew system. Depending on how rigorous a boil you do and the size of your pot, I might recommend going for the 9 gallons. As for the pumpkin, I didn't lose a lot of water there, it will drain out pretty well.

I went ahead and did the 60min addition for brown sugar. Since it was my first time brewing this recipe, I figured I would stay pretty close to the original.

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
kmos

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
it all depends on how much you boil off and if you squeeze the bag or not.
I should note that I was having crazy boil-control issues with this beer (my OG was way higher than I meant it to be -- I wish I could say it was because of my awesome efficiency ). This, plus the fact that it's hard to squeeze this much grain without some sort of pulley rig or something to help you out, is where I went awry and came up short. YMMV

Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmos View Post
I should note that I was having crazy boil-control issues with this beer (my OG was way higher than I meant it to be -- I wish I could say it was because of my awesome efficiency ). This, plus the fact that it's hard to squeeze this much grain without some sort of pulley rig or something to help you out, is where I went awry and came up short. YMMV

use a second pot. place a veggie steamer or colander in it upside down. then use a lid that's small enough to fit inside the pot to press the grain bag or a cake rack or bbq grill grate (never used for cooking) over the brew pot and then using a lid to press the grain bag works too

Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
kmos

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
use a second pot. place a veggie steamer or colander in it upside down. then use a lid that's small enough to fit inside the pot to press the grain bag or a cake rack or bbq grill grate (never used for cooking) over the brew pot and then using a lid to press the grain bag works too
This is why I love HBT -- Thank you, sir! I will put it in action this weekend!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #27
wheathead
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Great thread with plenty of ideas/lessons & timely too. I'm going to brew a pumkin ale this weekend after having gathered the ingredients.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #28
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Think I'll go with 9 gallons to be safe. Mystic I do that, set my grain bag in the "steamer basket" that came with my 11 gallon kettle and it drains perfectly, get at least another .75-1 gallon back.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The recipe I used, back on post #7, with my 62qt Bayou Classic pot, shooting for the 5 gallon batch, I started with 8.1 gallons this gave me 7.3 gallons pre-boil and 5.75 post boil with a little over 5 gallons into the fermentor.

Get a pot with a steamer basket for BIAB, it makes lifting the bag out of the water much easier.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have what might be a silly question, but I am new to BIAB and have been doing all extract brewing to this point. I brewed an extract pumpkin ale and my recipe called for the pumpkin to be added at 60 minutes of the boil with the first hop addition. Is there a reason you have to add the pumpkin in your grain bag when doing BIAB and why couldn't you just add the pumpkin at 60 minutes of the boil like you would in an extract recipe?

Quick Reply