Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Pumpkin Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

using a separate bag for the pumpkin would make things a LOT easier. lifting 3.65lbs with a little water is nothing compared to a full grain bag with a couple gallons of water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That sounds like an excellent idea. I will make sure to read more into that thread, it was just soooo long!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
Chris7687
Recipes 

Hey guys, so I think I am going to use this recipe below. They other one sounds good, but I don't have two weeks for the toasted malt and my brew shop didnt carry the base malt. Spoke to the kid at the shop and he mentioned I might have a problem with the pumpkin in the BIAB. Anyone have any problems with this? He mentioned it might not come in enough contact with the mash.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/

Old 09-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Hey guys, so I think I am going to use this recipe below. They other one sounds good, but I don't have two weeks for the toasted malt and my brew shop didnt carry the base malt. Spoke to the kid at the shop and he mentioned I might have a problem with the pumpkin in the BIAB. Anyone have any problems with this? He mentioned it might not come in enough contact with the mash.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/
Hmmm.. lets see. I put the pumpkin in the same bag as the grain.. yep.. it had plenty of contact with the mash. that kid doesn't know what BIAB is does he?

as far as base grains. I used regular 2row as that was what I had on hand. I toasted some myself and used them the next day. the best thing about brewing is you can change the recipe to make it your own...

Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "enough contact". I brewed the same recipe. I baked the Libby's pumpkin filling at 350* for an hour. When I mashed, I added all my grains then added the baked pumpkin and stirred the mash until there were no dough balls. I BIAB'd this.

I haven't checked the beer yet so I can't comment on flavor at this point. I will most likely take a gravity reading this weekend to see where I'm at and taste it then.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doed View Post
I haven't checked the beer yet so I can't comment on flavor at this point. I will most likely take a gravity reading this weekend to see where I'm at and taste it then.
Unless I am mistaken, the pumpkin doesn't really add much (any?) flavor anyway. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I think most of the flavor comes from the spices.

People BIAB pumpkin beers every year -- I'd say give it a whirl.

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
kmos

Recipes 

Quote:
That sounds like an excellent idea. I will make sure to read more into that thread, it was just soooo long!
A testament to the quality of the recipe, I'd say.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Chris7687
Recipes 

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Just rechecked the recipe and Reno-Envy used two packets of US-05, I didn't notice this and only got one. Do you guys think I'll be fine with one packet w/ no starter, or do you think I should run and grab another US-05?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance guys. Just rechecked the recipe and Reno-Envy used two packets of US-05, I didn't notice this and only got one. Do you guys think I'll be fine with one packet w/ no starter, or do you think I should run and grab another US-05?
Get a second pack. Whole lot of sugar in this recipe.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
kmos

Recipes 

Mr. Malty suggests 1.1 packets, so you wouldn't screw the pooch if you just pitched one. But yeah, like Doed said, you might as well just go grab another packet if you have a LHBS at hand.

FWIW, I always keep a few packets of Nottingham, US-05, S-04 around just in case. They're cheap, great, and will last forever in the fridge. Might be worth picking up a couple extra while you're out there!

Quick Reply