Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Pumpkin Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default BIAB Pumpkin Ale?

Hey guys,
I do BIAB and am looking to do my first pumpkin ale. Was wondering if anyone had a good recipe and could explain any differences we have to use for BIAB? I have read some people mash it and others put it in the secondary, which way do you all say has the best results?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I did a BIAB Pumpkin ale last year. this time I'm skipping the pumpkin and just spicing it. unless you either (A) have a pulley setup to hold the bag while it drains or (B) have some serious arm strength that bag is going to be SLOW draining, even with a pound of rice hulls added. I used 3.6 lbs of pumpkin puree in mine and it convinced me to start using a pulley after damn near dropping that bag of hot wort a couple times.
as far as a recipe.... I used this one
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samh...in-ale-140674/

Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Chris7687
Recipes 

Never used rice hulls or wheat before. Do I have to mill these?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Mysticmead
Recipes 

nope... just toss them in. they're only there to help with the draining. I would hate to think about not using them with pumpkin.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Chris7687
Recipes 

Sorry for the questions, but how does this help with draining? Will the rice be absorping extra water? What should the amount of water I use be? Can't figure it out on this calculator and my final volumes have been shorter then 5 gallons with this thing.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rice hulls basically add more husk material to your mash preventing it from getting as gummy. Whenever I've used them I'll let them soak up some warm water before adding them, so they don't lower the mash temp as much and don't soak up any of the strike water.

I brewed the Samhain Pumpkin last year, it was amazing!

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I brewed Reno_Envy's punkin ale about 10 days ago. Still in primary in the fermentation chamber. I followed his recipe exactly. Mysticmead is correct that sucker was heavy when I lifted it out of the water. I don't have a pulley system but I do use a "tie down" strap looped over a board on my 8' step ladder. Making this beer has made me seriously think about using a pulley so it will be easier to pull the basket, with bag, out of the water next time. It will most likely be a little safer using a pulley compared to the tie down strap.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Chris7687
Recipes 

How much warm water would you say a lb of rice hulls would require to soak? Also, do I need to soak the wheat too?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Mysticmead
Recipes 

honestly, if you add the rice hulls to the total grain weight when determining your water needed, the absorption will be accounted for. also since it would be at the same temp as your grain, your strike temp will account for it as well. try not to over think the process to the point of accounting for every ounce of water. Just relax and brew the beer. you'll end up with an incredible beer that is perfect for the fall holidays. Oh yeah... eat something before brewing. Because once you add those spices the entire area around you will smell like a giant slice of pumpkin pie.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doed View Post
I brewed Reno_Envy's punkin ale about 10 days ago. Still in primary in the fermentation chamber. I followed his recipe exactly. Mysticmead is correct that sucker was heavy when I lifted it out of the water.
+1

I brewed this last weekend and man was it heavy.

FWIW, on the thread for this recipe there are a few posts about folks doing it BIAB. I followed their suggestions and put the Libby's pumpkin puree in a separate bag and let it steep while the water was heating up to strike temp. It left it with a beautiful orange color. Then I just mashed as normal.

I also did not use rice hulls (I figured since I wasn't sparging like in a conventional all-grain batch, I didn't need them). I just used a really fine-mesh bag. Seemed to work out OK for me.

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

Quick Reply