HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB party-gyle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 3

it works for whatever method you mash, as long as you batch sparge. if there's target OG/batch sizes you're going for I can help you get there

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
it works for whatever method you mash, as long as you batch sparge. if there's target OG/batch sizes you're going for I can help you get there
That's my problem! I do "no sparge BIAB".. I'll have to wrap my head around the idea of doing it with a sparge, which I've never done. I think that's why that simulator looks like it's written in French to me..

Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Your sparge would be dunking your bag in 168ish degree water to get your second batch (second runnings). It makes it easier to have two kettles and two burners.

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
dcp27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
That's my problem! I do "no sparge BIAB".. I'll have to wrap my head around the idea of doing it with a sparge, which I've never done. I think that's why that simulator looks like it's written in French to me..
without a sparge or small batch sizes, you'd need a massive mash tun to do a no sparge BIAB partigyle. even at both half batches, that'd mean a minimum of 7gals in the mash tun + grains.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Stauffbier

Recipes 

Quote:
without a sparge or small batch sizes, you'd need a massive mash tun to do a no sparge BIAB partigyle. even at both half batches, that'd mean a minimum of 7gals in the mash tun + grains.
I have an 11 gallon kettle and a 7.5 gallon one too. I was planning on doing a 4 gallon batch for the first and ??? for the second.. I'm thinking the second batch would be maybe 2 to 2.5 gallons or so.. With 8 gallons of water in my big kettle I can fit about 13lbs of grain (more or less), so I figure if I scale down to a 4 gallon batch I would start with around 6.75 gallons of water and a few more lbs of grain to get the higher OG on batch one.. Then use my 7.5 gallon kettle to do the batch sparge (2nd batch) in. Now I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to cool two batches at the same time with one IC.. I'll try to offset the boil of each batch by 20 mins I suppose..

Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
dcp27
Recipes 

ok, well I just threw this together quick, so you'll hafta check it, but if you wanted 4gals of 80ish and 2.5gals of 40ish, you'd start with about 16lbs in 6.5 gals. those first runnings would be your big beer, then you;d batch sparge with around 3.75 gals for your small batch. you can then cap either with some specialty grains while you heat them up.

chilling both with one IC isn't too bad, I usually just boil the big beer a lil longer. since the small one will heat and cool quicker, you dont need to offset too much

Old 01-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
Stauffbier

Recipes 

Quote:
ok, well I just threw this together quick, so you'll hafta check it, but if you wanted 4gals of 80ish and 2.5gals of 40ish, you'd start with about 16lbs in 6.5 gals. those first runnings would be your big beer, then you;d batch sparge with around 3.75 gals for your small batch. you can then cap either with some specialty grains while you heat them up.

chilling both with one IC isn't too bad, I usually just boil the big beer a lil longer. since the small one will heat and cool quicker, you dont need to offset too much
Thanks for the input dcp.. I'll be ordering the goods this weekend and brewing next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 1166

Did you make the BIAB party-gyle? If so how did it go? What were the numbers on the small batch? Thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yes I'd like to know, too. Would be nice to make a lighter style of the beer that my wife may enjoy more than me, for the same price of the initial beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
Stauffbier

Recipes 

Sorry to say I haven't done it yet. I've been doing all kinds of DIY stuff since I posted this thread, and now I have a sanke keg mash tun. I'm still trying to dial in my process with it. I no longer do BIAB, but I do intend on trying the partygyle still. I'm hoping to get some bulk grains soon...

Quick Reply