HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB party-gyle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2750

Default BIAB party-gyle

So I've read quite a few threads on this idea going back to 2008.. I'm very interested in trying it. I'm wondering how many of you have actually done it successfully??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Brewman79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It works well

Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Stauffbier
Recipes 

One thing that is confusing me in all of the threads I have read...

Everyone talks about making a high gravity beer first (say 1.080 or so) and then a low to medium gravity beer second (say 1.030 to 1.040).. Are these numbers pre or post boil readings??

Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Talking about the OG of the wort after the boil.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
Talking about the OG of the wort after the boil.
Ok, that's what I thought.. Thanks! I might be biting off more than I can chew since I've only done 2 batches via BIAB. I find that jumping in head first teaches me a lot and I'm able to make quick progress with this hobby. So far no major mistakes or disappointments. I'm going to make both party-gyle batches pretty small for this first attempt, just in case I flub it all up!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
gypsyhead
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I did a BIAB Parti-Gyle Sour Mash Biere De Garde (yes that's a lot of descriptors) and the mashing process seemed to go swimmingly enough, though I'm still waiting on the final results (bugs take a while). But don't see anything wrong with a parti-gyle biab, especially if you're not sparging (which you probably aren't with biab). It couldn't hurt to do the traditional topping of the mashing with a little bit of fresh malt though to increase the gravity if that's what you're worried about.

If it's a question about the viability of Parti-gyle style in general, just remember that Fullers produces 3 separate beers from each batch, and they've been doing just fine for quite a while now.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyhead View Post
I did a BIAB Parti-Gyle Sour Mash Biere De Garde (yes that's a lot of descriptors) and the mashing process seemed to go swimmingly enough, though I'm still waiting on the final results (bugs take a while). But don't see anything wrong with a parti-gyle biab, especially if you're not sparging (which you probably aren't with biab). It couldn't hurt to do the traditional topping of the mashing with a little bit of fresh malt though to increase the gravity if that's what you're worried about.

If it's a question about the viability of Parti-gyle style in general, just remember that Fullers produces 3 separate beers from each batch, and they've been doing just fine for quite a while now.
How much malt would you add to the second batch with an original grain bill of 12lbs? And I'm guessing your first batch is a no sparge mash at about 154F and the second batch is done like a "batch sparge" at 170ish??

Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
So I've read quite a few threads on this idea going back to 2008.. I'm very interested in trying it. I'm wondering how many of you have actually done it successfully??
i've done it a bunch, it works well. Kai has a spreadsheet here if you want to simulate it to figure out your volumes: Batch Sparge and Party Gyle Simulator - German brewing and more
Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
i've done it a bunch, it works well. Kai has a spreadsheet here if you want to simulate it to figure out your volumes: Batch Sparge and Party Gyle Simulator - German brewing and more
Awesome! Thank you! I was having a hard time figuring out the water volume for batch 2 since the grain would already be wet... I can't wait to try it. I just have to order some hops and more airlocks (the 7 I have are in use.. haha)..

Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
Stauffbier
Recipes 

I don't think that simulator is designed for BIAB per say, dcp27.. If it is I'm just clueless (which isn't too far fetched..).

Quick Reply