Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Notes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
DewGun316
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BIAB Notes

Based on this thread
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/1st-biab-if-i-can-you-can-309912/

And many others in this section and others this seems like a pretty simple process my few questions for you guys who AG brew.

Right now small batching is the most productive thing for me to do,however because I have learning disability due to my Brain Injury I need to Barney this process further.

I wanna make between 12 to 24, 12 oz bottles. Now I've seen between 1 to 2 brew pots and 1 to 2 carboys or other containers. Now what size pots do I need to brew the desired amount?

This site is freaking awsome..the wiki is on point and I've found a HB store in the place I will be living at once discharged.

Now besides pot, bag, heat source, fermenting buckets/carboys, bottling stuff. And a damn good recipe to follow.

What am I missing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

24 12-oz bottles will come out to right around 2.5 gallons for your final volume. If you want to do full volume boils, you'll need around a 5 gallon pot (maybe less if you use fermcap to prevent boilover). I know there are 3 gallon Better Bottles, which would probably give you enough head space, or you could also just use the standard bucket. Also, for this size batch, plenty of people ferment in a Mr. Beer container with great success. Those can be found pretty cheap if you keep an eye on CL, ebay, etc.

The things you still need are a no-rinse sanitizer, a thermometer, a hydrometer, and fermentation temp control (swamp cooler or fermentation chamber).

Your best resource here will be your (hopefully) LHBS owner/employee. Even if he/she doesn't know a lot about BIAB, a lot of the peripheral equipment is the same as you would use in AG brewing. Also, I would recommend finding someone that will let you sit in on their BIAB session. You can see the process laid out in front of you, as well as pick their brains as to why they do what they do.

A user named Seven has a great BIAB thread stickied near the top of this subforum page. That will be a great resource as well, if you haven't looked through it yet. Good luck, friend.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
DewGun316
Recipes 

To your credit I looked over the no sparge BIAB, thanks for the heads up, I guess from there I just need to read the recipes correctly and match the numbers as best as possible. Both methods I've read are pretty cool.

I know the LHBS in Raleigh has classes so I'll go to one when I move there. Ask questions and keep coming back here.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
y2jrock60
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do yourself a favor and get the 6 gallon fermenters and a nice size boil kettle, preferably 8.5 gallons. You're going to get addicted to all grain brewing and wish you made bigger batches. I just graduated to 10 gallon batches from 5 gallons. I used an 8.5 gallon turkey fryer for 20+ beers without any problems. However, the 15 gallon keggle is amazing. I started 5 months ago making one beer at a time. Now I have 8 beers at one time in some stage of fermentation and 10 cases ready to drink.

I'm not trying to pressure you into buying something that you don't need, but I'm trying to do you a favor so you don't end up having to buy equipment more than once. "HOMEBREWING IS EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE"!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
DewGun316
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jrock60 View Post
Do yourself a favor and get the 6 gallon fermenters and a nice size boil kettle, preferably 8.5 gallons. You're going to get addicted to all grain brewing and wish you made bigger batches. I just graduated to 10 gallon batches from 5 gallons. I used an 8.5 gallon turkey fryer for 20+ beers without any problems. However, the 15 gallon keggle is amazing. I started 5 months ago making one beer at a time. Now I have 8 beers at one time in some stage of fermentation and 10 cases ready to drink.

I'm not trying to pressure you into buying something that you don't need, but I'm trying to do you a favor so you don't end up having to buy equipment more than once. "HOMEBREWING IS EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE"!!!!!!!
I can tell I wish I can do more, but my medication regime prevents me from going any bigger and I don't want to waste good beer ya know? If I drink to much brew I'll literally go into liver failure lol.

So I can only drink 2 or three every 4 or five days and even then I pushing it, which sucks. I just want enough in stock to drink over time but not waste.

I would've loved to have a kegerator

Old 04-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
DewGun316
Recipes 

So based on what I've read from most of you, I would be good getting a 6-8 gal pot, good size carboy, thermometer, hydrometer, bag and a good heat source and I'll be set to do at least 5 gal or less batches for bottling. Would it better to keg this small of a batch and just tap it?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
torbanac
Recipes 

I only brew 2.5 gallon BIAB batches. I have a five gallon pot and a 3. gallon fermenter and a 3 gallon carboy. Depending on the final yield i get between 20-24 bottles of beer out of a batch. I can't drink a lot beer either and like ability to brew different batches.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
DewGun316
Recipes 

Torbanac, thank you your the third small bather I've met that has done it that way. I will go that route I be buying my stuff next month for my first BIAB

Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewGun316 View Post
So based on what I've read from most of you, I would be good getting a 6-8 gal pot, good size carboy, thermometer, hydrometer, bag and a good heat source and I'll be set to do at least 5 gal or less batches for bottling. Would it better to keg this small of a batch and just tap it?
At this size, I'd definitely bottle. It wouldn't take you long to do, and you can store them for an extended period, which means you can continue to brew new and interesting things, even if you can't drink 'em all at once.

And I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but when people hear that you make good beer, you'll be amazed at how many of them describe you as their friend! You will never have a problem with having too much good beer!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
StanJohnson
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I use this method to do small batch BIAB.

RDWIWBB

Stan

Quick Reply