Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BiaB mash question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BiaB mash question

Using BiaB for a Ordinary Bitter today. To make up for the reduced water flow between the grains, can/should I increase the mach time to 90 minutes?

I am using MO, so I have some conversion concerns, and I want to try to get all the sugars I can, but I also want to minimize any tannins.

Tanks....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLAGI View Post
Using BiaB for a Ordinary Bitter today. To make up for the reduced water flow between the grains, can/should I increase the mach time to 90 minutes?

I am using MO, so I have some conversion concerns, and I want to try to get all the sugars I can, but I also want to minimize any tannins.

Tanks....

Typically with BIAB MASH TIME IS VERY IMPORTANT. You DO NOT want to short yourself here. DO a 90 minute mash, it will be helpful.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the response, Pol....

OK, so I did the 90 minute mash, but I only got about 54% efficiency, and I am not sure why....

Grain bill:

Maris Otter Pale - 8 lbs.
Crystal 20L - 1 lb.
Flaked Barley - 1 lb

Mashed with 2 qts/lb for 90 minutes and sparged with ~4 gals. to make up boil volume. Mashed in @ 168, sparge water at 180. Pre-boil gravity 1.020. Shooting for a final volume of 6 gals.

Where am I going wrong?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLAGI View Post
Thanks for the response, Pol....

OK, so I did the 90 minute mash, but I only got about 54% efficiency, and I am not sure why....

Grain bill:

Maris Otter Pale - 8 lbs.
Crystal 20L - 1 lb.
Flaked Barley - 1 lb

Mashed with 2 qts/lb for 90 minutes and sparged with ~4 gals. to make up boil volume. Mashed in @ 168, sparge water at 180. Pre-boil gravity 1.020. Shooting for a final volume of 6 gals.

Where am I going wrong?
#1 that is a REALLY high stike temp... I am showing that resting at like 159 or 160... that is borderline deactivating enzymes.

#2 How was the grain milled? With BIAB is it customary to grind the malt finer than you would with a typical AG method since you have no worries about a stuck sparge.

#3 Did you MIX the grist well in the water? Are you certain that you didnt have dough balls still in the bag during the mash?

There are a lot of reasons that you can get bad eff. Typicall though BIAB is around 70% or better if done properly.

Id look at CRUSH, MIXING, MASH TEMP... first.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
#1 that is a REALLY high stike temp... I am showing that resting at like 159 or 160... that is borderline deactivating enzymes.

#2 How was the grain milled? With BIAB is it customary to grind the malt finer than you would with a typical AG method since you have no worries about a stuck sparge.

#3 Did you MIX the grist well in the water? Are you certain that you didnt have dough balls still in the bag during the mash?
#1 Could be...Just went back and looked at BS...Should have been 163 based on my equipment

#2 I had my LHBS double grind for me. Maybe need to ask them to chimp down the gap next time.

#3 Could have been dough balls, but I didn't feel any while mixing...

To add to my questions, I took some Iodophor to check for conversion and it did not turn purple. I felt pretty good about that...

I'll just have to keep trying....

Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How did you sparge? Did you sprinkle/run the water over the bag or did you sparge in a separate vessel... dip and drain?

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
NEW - KENT CARBONATION CAPS AND QUICK DISCONNECTS

BargainFittings.com

Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
ISLAGI
1 beer short of a sixer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post
How did you sparge? Did you sprinkle/run the water over the bag or did you sparge in a separate vessel... dip and drain?

Batch sparged with 5 minutes of sit and stir. Lifted and let drip, then siphoned into brew pot...

Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

I dont know of this matter at all, but most BIAB setups only use one pot. ALL of the water and the grain go into ONE kettle where the mash takes place. After the mash, the bag is lifted and it drains into the kettle.

The boil then takes place in the asme kettle that the mash was completed in. Sounds like you added a couple steps... dunno that it matters, but it could in some way.

Aside from the longer mash time and finer grind... a really good mashout to get the sugars hot and flowing from that grain bag is also very important... did you heat the mash to 168 or so to do this?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You should have soaked the grains with the 2qts/lb water AND the sparge water so it would have been about 9 gallons of water PLUS the grains all at once. You need a big pot to do that though. With your sparge process you essentially did a single sparge and let it drip out within 5 minutes. In a normal all grain setup process that could take someone about 30 mins+ to do a proper vorlauf and runoff of the grains.

Also you can usually take off a few degrees for the mash in temp. if you do all of the water with the grains becuase there is more water than grains and you won't get such a temperature change as if the grains were more than the water.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
You should have soaked the grains with the 2qts/lb water AND the sparge water so it would have been about 9 gallons of water PLUS the grains all at once. You need a big pot to do that though. With your sparge process you essentially did a single sparge and let it drip out within 5 minutes. In a normal all grain setup process that could take someone about 30 mins+ to do a proper vorlauf and runoff of the grains.

Also you can usually take off a few degrees for the mash in temp. if you do all of the water with the grains becuase there is more water than grains and you won't get such a temperature change as if the grains were more than the water.

And this is never an issue if one uses a mash calculator or brewing software. This is one number that cannot be a guess.

Quick Reply