Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB help immediately please! Mash way too high

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default BIAB help immediately please! Mash way too high

OK, first attempt at BIAB. Mashed in at 160 and turned off heat on ceramic stove top. Mash dropped to 157 immediately and I thought ok that will settle at about 155 and finish at 153 or so and I'm good. Covered and went for a walk, come in and see the mash thermometer is a remarkable 164. Ceramic must be a killer. OK I'm screwed, live and learn. What to do? Add a pound+ of sugar to get the fermentables up? It was supposed to be a bitter, but now I just want drinkable beer. Suggestions?

Was an ordinary bitter with just five pounds of two row, so add three pounds of DME a tad of sugar and jump to ESB maybe?

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

Take the lid off and let the temp drop to 150F and let it rest for another hour. Maybe you can still manage to extract some fermentable sugar. Then check your gravity. If it's low you can throw some DME in. This batch will have a lot of body and slight sweetnes if you didn't denature the enzymes..

Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Take the lid off and let the temp drop to 150F and let it rest for another hour. Maybe you can still manage to extract some fermentable sugar. Then check your gravity. If it's low you can throw some DME in. This batch will have a lot of body and slight sweetnes if you didn't denature the enzymes..
Yeah . This may be a bitter brown! Still fun and it be something, whatever that might be!

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);

Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Put a few drops of wort on a plate, drip in some iodine. If it turns black no conversion get the temp down and rest it for 20-30 min. If it stays the same color your done. Mash out and start your boil.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I have no suggestions for this one.

What may have happened on is that the heat from the stove was still there when you turned the burner off. I had something similar today. I turned off the burner and had to move the pot off the hot burner to stop the temperature from continuing to rise.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you don't have iodine to do a conversion test, just let the temperature come down and continue the mash for a while.

The "good news" are that there are some fine beers with mash temperatures around 158. For instance, the Lagunitas IPA brewer supplied mash temperature is 160!

Your attenuation will suffer but that doesn't mean it won't be a good beer. You could add some DME (as suggested above) to up the overall ABV or even a bit of sugar/honey (no more than 5-10%).

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I have no suggestions for this one.

What may have happened on is that the heat from the stove was still there when you turned the burner off. I had something similar today. I turned off the burner and had to move the pot off the hot burner to stop the temperature from continuing to rise.
Its the ceramic top. They just hold heat for a good while, but I never figured on this much heat. Ah well, it's a beautiful night in the Ozarks, I'm licking my wounds with a Tank 7, and I learned something new. And BIAB sounded so simple

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:

Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
The "good news" are that there are some fine beers with mash temperatures around 158. For instance, the Lagunitas IPA brewer supplied mash temperature is 160!
Your attenuation will suffer but that doesn't mean it won't be a good beer. You could add some DME (as suggested above) to up the overall ABV or even a bit of sugar/honey (no more than 5-10%).
Absolutely, it's just not going to be what I planned. I think it will turn out to be closer to a brown ale. A little sweet with a lot of mouth feel. I'll just add the two pounds of DME I planned and up the six ounces of sugar to a pound of corn syrup and have at it.

Thanks for the replies all.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

Primary:

Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

The funny thing is that the ones you screw up end up being among the best beer you ever brewed! My first BIAB attempt was not so great, but the beer came out really good. As a matter of fact it's my house amber recipe now (although I have much better control of how it comes out now)... Just let it ride, and I'm sure it will be fine..

Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hey guys, could someone clarify the major "problems" with mashing to high? I have been doing all my BIAB beers mashing in around 160 and they mash at 157ish for 75-90 mins, tempature doesn't drop when its 92* outside here in FL. I posted this and all I got was people saying my beer is going to suck and turn out very bad.... I think all my beers are great, I have even had a professional taster taste them. He even liked my beer over a Gold Medal winning Saison from Swamp Head... Does it just give the beer a bigger body? Still not completely sure what everyone means by this? More body as in taste and flavor, like a not a whimppy BMC?

Quick Reply