Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB, grain to water ratios, and mash outs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
itzkramer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BIAB, grain to water ratios, and mash outs.

I brewed my first BIAB yesterday. Recipe instructions stated:

11lbs grain
mash @ 152 for 60 min
1lb/1.5qt (mash)
1lb/2qt (sparge)

I BIABed it at:

(5.5g final volume) + (1g boil off) + (1g grain absorbtion) = 7.5 mash volume

11lbs grain
mash @ 152 for 60 min
1lb/2.72qt

I ran my crushed grains through a blender for a 2 second pulse per cup, hit my strike temp dead on, mashed out at 170 for 10 minutes. Hit all my pre/post volumes, pre-boil OG 1.044, and my final OG was 1.053 (recipe was 1.052-1.056). Calculated Brewhouse effeciency was 70%

Heres the question. After researching grain/water ratios, apparently a thick mash yeilds a malty, less fermentable wort. A thin mash yields a low body, high fermentable wort. Given that most BIAB no-sparge brewers mash in the 1lb/2.5qt range, is there a noticiable difference in the beers? Any side-by-side comparisons?

Heres my fix...

BIAB mash at 1lb/1.5qt(4.125g) at 152 for 60min. Add the remaining 3.375 gallons, raise to 170, and mash out for 10 minutes. Pull the bag leaving 6.5 pre-boil?

Does this sound resonable? Has anyone done this and tested the results?

EDIT: I am aware of BIAB sparging in a second pot, but I'm sticking with the 1 pot method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I, too, am a BIAB brewer but have not heard of this thin vs thick mash effect. I thought it only depended on mash temp? Sounds like its time for an experiment

Old 07-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts

I switched from traditional AG to BIAB (full volume, no sparge, no chill) about 10 batches ago. I've brewed the same recipes using both methods but never done a side-by-side comparison. My palate may not be as 'pofisticated as others but I notice no difference (other than the couple of hours BIAB has shaved off my brew day). YMMV

nurture my pig

Old 07-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I haven't noticed any differences with BIAB and a thinner mash. I agree that it would be nice to do some side-by-side comparisons with other brewers to see if there's a noticeable difference between the various brewing methods.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
itzkramer
Recipes 

enjoy

http://makinthemtherebeers.blogspot....kness-pt2.html

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/03...thick-or-thin/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/mash...7/#post1569009

Old 07-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
1971hemicuda
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

+1 ^

I had a post written up, gave an explanation and then my page refreshed and the guy above me beat me too it!

Lol cheers

This is my beer, go brew your own

Old 07-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts

Something to chew on:

BN article

"1 - I can and have gone into lengthy discussions about L:G ratios. Mainly, people seem to be concerned about Beta Amalayse enzymes becoming denatured too quickly at such a high L:G ratio; and leaving you with an overly dextrinous wort. Then again, others say that a thin mash leads to increased fermentability, and therefore BIAB worts will be overly dry. In a way, they are both right. Both these things are a concern. BUT, in practise, they seem to balance themselves out; and worts well within the normal range are produced. Even at the L:G ratios involved with BIAB, still by far the biggest influence on wort fermentability is temperature. To be on the safe side I mash 0.5 to 1 degree C lower in temp than I normally would, and haven't had problems yet. "

nurture my pig

Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
itzkramer
Recipes 

thanks thuges. i saw that article a while back when i started looking at BIAB, but wasnt too worried about ratios at the time.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have only done one BIAB and it is not kegged yet. Next time I am thinking mashing thicker, and then adding an infusion of boiling water to reach mashout temps. This will accomplish the thicker mash and the mashout w/ one effort.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
itzkramer
Recipes 

wilserbrewer, thats pretty much what I had in mind except the second pot for heating the second addition of water.

since i want to stick with 1 pot, i could accomplish the same thing by pulling the bag out via a pully/rope, adding water and heating it to 175, and putting the bag back in.(175 because the grain temp will drop while out of the pot.

but then...if the brewingnetwork.com thread says it doesnt matter anyways, then whats the point? this definitely needs a side-by-side.

i would do it but im brewing my last batch today. im leaving for afghanistan in a month, so ill have to wait till next year.

Quick Reply