New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB efficiency question - 71% good? bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #21
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
consistency is more important than the actual number; if you are interested in being able to repeat results...
+1 - Just got my 2.5 gallon all grain setup and I'm trying to dial it in. Id much rather be able to repeat and spend another $2 or so on grain.

Additionally, a large beer in that gravity range (1.100) is going to have a lot lower efficiency than usual for most homebrewing setups. Mainly cause you aren't using as much water per pound of grain when sparging. So 71% for a BIAB at that gravity sounds pretty solid to me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #22
fergy89406
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

+1 to all who stated that consistency is more important than efficiency. I've been an avid BIABer for the last 5 months.... having close to 12 beers with this method under my belt. No sparge used on this end, and consistently hit between 74-75% efficiency. Fine crush, stirring about every 10 minutes, and draining/spinning/squeezing the bag after. Works every time. Sparging is not necessary at all!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I found that crush was the deciding factor in getting better efficiency in BIAB. Once I got my own mill, and started trying different crushes, I started improving efficiency into the high 70s. I'm hitting 76-78% consistently now, not sparging, and not squeezing my bag. However, after draining my bag above the kettle for a couple minutes, I then suspend it above a small pot to catch any additional runoff. I usually end up with another quart or so...

Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 185

If you start squeezing the bag you'll find that you can extract another quart or more of really sticky, high sugar wort and that will increase your efficiency. I think you are leaving a lot of sugars by not squeezing.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #25
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN
If you start squeezing the bag you'll find that you can extract another quart or more of really sticky, high sugar wort and that will increase your efficiency. I think you are leaving a lot of sugars by not squeezing.
I used to squeeze, and I used to sparge the bag, and results were inconsistent. Remove them from the process and you gain consistency.

Quick Reply