Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB with Blichmann Boilermaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
epateddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default BIAB with Blichmann Boilermaker

Anyone figure out a creative way to do BIAB with a Blichmann Boilermaker. I'm guessing the temp probe would pretty much destroy the bag.

Enjoyed this thread. But noticed the brewer is using a Boilermaker without a temperature gauge and probe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epateddy View Post
Anyone figure out a creative way to do BIAB with a Blichmann Boilermaker. I'm guessing the temp probe would pretty much destroy the bag.

Enjoyed this thread. But noticed the brewer is using a Boilermaker without a temperature gauge and probe.
I have done it without an issue and I have the temperature probe in my boilermaker. The grain bag I got from my homebrew store is the perfect size for the 10 gallon pot. I am just careful when stirring around the probe. No issues.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
epateddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Nice. Can you shoot me a link to the bag you picked up? I was planning on getting a regular paint strainer bag that most folks seem to use. And that seems to stretch to the edges of the boilermaker. So I expected there would be some snagging with that.

Last edited by epateddy; 09-25-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am pretty sure is the one.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=1058

They fit around the top rim of the pot and fill the inside perfectly.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
datamike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by epateddy View Post

Use the Blichmann plug to remove the thermometer. Available here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...-plug-kit.html

BTW, the paint strainer bags are not ideal for BIAB, nor is the bag referenced. Both are too course.

The preferred material (which lets you use a finer crush for better efficiency) is very fine and commonly referred to as "Swedish Voile". See pic below. Polyester is preferred, but cotton will work. This is what you want: http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/she...le-fabric-.htm

Michael
swiss-voile.jpg  

Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
epateddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm. Hate the thought of having to pull the probe. Really enjoyed that integrated temp gauge during my first brew. I suppose this is one way Blichmann gets folks to pony up for a second boilermaker to use for mashing. Smart.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
DrDarwin
Recipes 

I BIAB in a 20 gal Blichmann with the temp probe in, no problem. So far the largest grain bill was ~25lbs, and while it raising it out of the pot was a chore, I didn't have any problems avoiding the probe.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use a homemade voile bag with my 15 gallon blichmann with no problems. Getting ready to get a 20 gallon one for mashing and a pump to transfer to my 15 for the boil though. Getting sick of having to lift 15-25 pounds of hot grain

Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is good news. I am making a keggle with a spigot and a thermometer and I was worried about the probe. Asked that question on another thread but have yet to hear back.

Also, I use the same AHS bag mentioned earlier and get lots of grain trub. Going to make a voile bag.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The temp probe is really going to be fairly useless in BIAB anyway. You could only use it to measure your mash-in water temp, then you wouldn't really use it anymore.

During the mash and mashout, the temp of the water/wort outside of the grain bag doesn't really mean anything, you'll stir the crap out of the grains in the bag whenever the heat is on to average out the grain bed temps, then measure the temps inside the grain bed. Then, during the boil, you don't really even need a thermometer at all, because the temp is either 212F or it's not.

If you do want to go BIAB, I'd either work around the probe or get the plug.

FYI, I have used paint strainer bags on all 8 of my BIAB batches and they are NOT too course. The only function the bags serves is to let water in without letting grain out, and I NEVER have any grain in my wort using paint strainer bags. I even put pellet hops in 1 gallon paint strainer bags and they do not leak out of the bag either, so they are again NOT too course. Use with confidence!

The only real benefit I see using voile material bags over paint strainers is that you would never have to replace them if maintained properly, where I can only use each paint strainer bag for 2-3 batches tops before I have to get another one.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply